Anthony R. Coscia's practice focuses on corporate, commercial, and real estate matters, with a concentration on the financial elements of these transactions. He represents financial institutions, investors and major corporations on whose behalf he has handled a broad variety of matters, including:
- corporate and real estate finance transactions,
- asset restructure and recovery,
- regulatory compliance,
- mergers and acquisitions, and
- general litigation.
In addition, Mr. Coscia regularly advises infrastructure funds, private equity firms, technology companies, not-for-profit organizations and investor owned utilities. He also has specific experience in the area of redevelopment finance and has worked extensively on infrastructure development projects.
In addition to his private practice, Mr. Coscia also serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak). Previously he served as Chairman of Amtrak's Finance and Audit Committee. Mr. Coscia's contributions to Amtrak are the result of his June 2010 appointment and his 2015 second term reappointment by President Obama to the Board of Directors.
Mr. Coscia is the Chairman of Suez North America Inc., the U.S. subsidiary of Suez Environnement SAS. He is a Director of OceanFirst Financial Corp. and OceanFirst Bank and has served as a director of several public and closely held corporations in the construction, financial services, investment banking, real estate and manufacturing sectors. In April 2020, he was named to New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy's 21-member Restart and Recovery Commission, which is tasked with guiding the State's transition from COVID-19 quarantine to recovery. In addition, he serves as a trustee of Georgetown University and the New Jersey Community Development Corporation, and is a member of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center Council of Trustees, The Partnership for New York City, The Economic Club of New York and the Regional Plan Association.
Mr. Coscia served as Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for over eight years, stepping down from the Board on June 30, 2011. During his tenure, the longest in modern Port Authority history, he served four New Jersey Governors and three New York Governors. As Chairman, Mr. Coscia oversaw the restoration of the agency after 9/11 as a key player in the region through development of a long term capital program, assuming the lead role in the redevelopment of the WTC site rebuilding, spearheading multi-billion dollar mass transit improvements, port expansion, modernization of aviation facilities and the most significant corporate governance and financial management reforms adopted by the Port Authority in over two decades.
From February 1992 to March 2003, Mr. Coscia served as Chair of the New Jersey Economic Development Authority ("NJEDA"), one of the largest state-sponsored development banks in the United States.
Mr. Coscia is a member of the Executive Committee of Windels Marx and has been with the Firm for over 25 years. He served as Editor-in-Chief of the Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal while attending Rutgers University School of Law. In 2007 he was awarded an honorary doctorate of humane letters from the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- September 12, 2017 - Association for a Better New York (ABNY) Presents "Power Breakfast." Discussion on the Summer 2017 Penn Station infrastructure progress and additional improvements planned, as well as an update on the Gateway Program.
- March 14, 2017 - Montclair State University - Feliciano School of Business Presents "Real Estate and Incentives in New Jersey" - Closing Keynote on "Public-Private Entities and the Connection with Real Estate Development."
- May 2, 2016 - Crain's Real Estate Conference - Panel Discussion on "Taking the Measure of Penn Station and the Cuomo Administration's Plans for It."
- October 23, 2015 - Urban Land Institute - Fall Meeting Panelist on "Transformative Projects: New York Style."
- September 30, 2015 - New Jersey Chamber of Commerce Roundtable.
- April 24, 2015 - Regional Plan Association - The RPA Assembly - Plenary Debate.
- October 23, 2014 - Urban Land Institute - Fall Meeting Panelist on "Transformative Projects: New York Style."
- September 30, 2014 - New Jersey Chamber of Commerce - Roundtable on Transportation.
- April 27, 2012 - Regional Plan Association's 2012 Assembly - Expert panelist on transportation.
- November 1, 2011 - "Road to Recovery: Transforming America's Transportation," a panel discussion hosted by Regional Plan Association and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- The Best Lawyers in America - Banking & Finance Law (2018-2022), Construction Law (2022), Real Estate Law (2022)
- City & State Responsible 100 (2018)
- NJBIZ 25 Legends (2012)
- NJBIZ Commercial Real Estate Power 50 (2011, 2014-2015, 2017, 2019-2020)
- NJBIZ Health Care Power 50 (2020)
- NJBIZ Law Power 50 (2019, 2021)
- NJBIZ Power 75: Real Estate (2016)
- NJBIZ Power 100 (2014-2021)
- NJBIZ Real Estate and Construction Power 50 (2013)
- NJ Chamber of Commerce Business Leadership Award (2017)
- Regional Plan Association's The John Zuccotti Award (2018)
- ROI-NJ Champions of the C-Suite, Recipient of the Inaugural Chairman Champions Award (2020)
- ROI-NJ Power Influencers (2018-2021)
- ROI-NJ Real Estate Influencers (2017-2018)
- Super Lawyers, Recognized for Real Estate (2018-2021)
- Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
- Tony Coscia Recognized by NJBIZ Power Law 50 - Jul 26, 2021
- $54.550 Million Bond Financing Closes for Second Phase of Stockton University Atlantic City Campus - May 25, 2021
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 2 Lawyers for 2021 - Mar 23, 2021
- Tony Coscia Recognized by NJBIZ Power 100 - Feb 22, 2021
- Tony Coscia Recognized by ROI-NJ Influencers: Power - Feb 22, 2021
- Tony Coscia Named to NJBIZ Commercial Real Estate Power 50, 2020 Edition - Nov 9, 2020
- Public Finance Team Closes $1 Billion Bond Deal in Healthcare Industry - Sep 2, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
- COVID-19 - NJ Governor Murphy Taps Tony Coscia for the Restart and Recovery Commission - Apr 28, 2020
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 4 Lawyers for 2020 - Mar 13, 2020
- ROI-NJ Announces the Influencers Power List for 2020 - Tony Coscia at #15 - Feb 26, 2020
- Tony Coscia Receives Inaugural Award at ROI-NJ Champions of the C-Suite - Feb 20, 2020
- NJBIZ Announces Power 100 for 2020, Coscia Nominated - Feb 17, 2020
- ROI-NJ Names Tony Coscia Among NJ's Real Estate Power Players - Nov 18, 2019
- NJBIZ Announces Commercial Real Estate Power 50, Tony Coscia Named - Nov 12, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 4 Lawyers - Mar 12, 2019
- City & State Announces its Annual "Responsible 100" - Dec 21, 2018
- ROI-NJ Compiles List of Real Estate Influencers, Tony Coscia at #14 - Oct 26, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Recognizes 14 Lawyers, 2 Named "Lawyer of the Year" - Aug 15, 2018
- NJBiz Announces Power 100 List, Tony Coscia Among Top 10 - Mar 26, 2018
- NJBiz Recognizes Tony Coscia in Annual Real Estate 50 - Dec 5, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names 11 from Windels Marx - Aug 15, 2017
- NJBiz Announces 2017 "Power 100" List - Tony Coscia Holds #7 Position - Feb 6, 2017
- NJBiz Expands Real Estate Rankings, Nominates Tony Coscia to #42 - Dec 2, 2016
- NJBiz Releases Annual Real Estate Power 50 with Tony Coscia in Top 10 - Nov 16, 2015
- NJBiz Names Tony Coscia to 2015 "Power 100" - Jan 29, 2015
- NJBiz Releases "Power 50: Real Estate" List, Pegs Tony Coscia Among Top 20 - Nov 30, 2014
- NJBiz Names Tony Coscia in "Power 100" for New Jersey Business - Feb 10, 2014
- NJBiz Names Tony Coscia in "Power 50" for NJ Real Estate and Construction - Nov 19, 2013
- Tony Coscia Quoted on Groundbreaking of NY-NJ Rail Tunnel Project - Sep 24, 2013
- Deal Announcement - Tony Coscia, Chuck Liebling and Team Close $300 Million Financing of Rutgers University Redevelopment Project - Sep 19, 2013
- Tony Coscia Discusses Amtrak Funding in Crain's Interview - Jul 10, 2013
- Tony Coscia Elected Chairman of United Water - Apr 18, 2013
- Tony Coscia Elected as Amtrak Chairman - Mar 18, 2013
- NJBiz Names Tony Coscia Among "25 Legends" - Jan 14, 2013
- Tony Coscia Quoted on Hudson River Rail Project - Jun 27, 2012
- NJBiz Profiles Tony Coscia on Bi-Partisan Reputation, Work Ethic - Mar 26, 2012
- Tony Coscia Speaks to NJBiz on Caren Franzini's Longevity with NJ Economic Development Authority - Feb 20, 2012
- Tony Coscia Acknowledged Among New Jersey's "Power 50 Real Estate" List by NJBiz - Nov 21, 2011
- Tony Coscia Among the "Power 50 Real Estate" in NJBiz - Nov 7, 2011
- Bob Schwartz Among Top Ten of "Power 50 Banking" in NJBiz - Oct 3, 2011
- Windels Marx Ranks 5th in New Jersey Public Financings for Mid-Year 2011 - Aug 26, 2011
- Tony Coscia Mentioned in The Star-Ledger's "Ex-Port Authority Chairman Stays in Public Arena as Obama Appointee to Create U.S. High-Speed Rail Network" - Apr 12, 2011
- Opportunity Zones - Investments in Qualified Opportunity Funds: Like-Kind Exchanges 2.0? - Oct 2, 2018
- Affordable Housing News Profiles NY, NJ Practice - Dec 12, 2014
- Forbes Legal Black Book Features Windels Marx - Nov 30, 2014
- NJ Governor Signs Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 27, 2014
- NJ Legislature Concurs with Conditional Veto of Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 16, 2014
- NJ Governor Takes Action on Two Critical Bills - Sep 12, 2014
- EDA Approves Proposed Regulations for Grow NJ and Res-ERG Programs and will Accept Online Applications Starting November 18, 2013 - Nov 15, 2013
- Tony Coscia, Charles Liebling and Julie Tattoni Provide Regulatory Update on "Tax Incentives Overhaul Legislation: New Jersey Economic Opportunity Act of 2013" - Sep 17, 2013
- NJEDA Has Begun Its Competitive Solicitation Process for the Residential Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Program - Oct 26, 2012
- Urban Transit Hub Amendments Summarized by Tony Coscia and Charles Liebling - Aug 5, 2011
- Real Estate
- Infrastructure Development & Finance
- Joint Venture/Equity Investments
- Development & Land Use
- Health Law
- Corporate & Securities
- Corporate Formation & Finance
- Corporate Governance
- General Corporate Matters
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Financial Transactions
- Corporate Finance & Syndicated Lending
- Public Finance & Not-for-Profit
- Middle Market Lending
- Cross-Border Transactions
- Workouts & Restructurings
- COVID-19 Response & Resources
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1984
- B.S.F.S., Phi Beta Kappa, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, 1981
- New Jersey
- New York