Joint Venture/Equity Investments
5th Largest Real Estate Law Firm in New York, The Real Deal (October 2019)
We have substantial experience in negotiating and structuring complex joint ventures to facilitate real estate investment and development transactions. Our services include representation of institutions seeking equity investment opportunities, as well as developers seeking joint venture financing. The transactions have included preferred, bridge and pari passu investments in income-producing commercial and residential properties, development deals, and platform joint ventures to invest in multiple transactions. In addition, we have extensive experience in the restructuring of joint ventures, conversion of loans into equity, and the exercise of remedies under joint venture agreements, including buy-sells and forced sales.
- Represented PCCP in a joint venture in connection with the $146.6 million acquisition and development of The District at 15fifteen, a mixed-use development in Parsippany, N.J.
- Represented a real estate development company's joint venture formed for the acquisition of the former Sanofi-Aventis pharmaceutical research campus in Bridgewater, NJ, a deal that won NAIOP-NJ's 2013 Creative Deal of the Year Award.
- Represented a prominent real-estate developer in its recapitalization by the California State Teachers' Retirement System.
- Represented an institutional lender in a joint venture in connection with the acquisition of a regional shopping center in Santa Fe, NM, and a $36 million loan made by the lender to the joint venture entity to be used for the acquisition and remodeling of a mall.
- Represented a private equity fund in a joint venture with a railroad for the acquisition and mixed-use development of a 45-acre tract in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Represented a Wall Street investment bank in a joint venture in connection with the acquisition, development and construction of a mixed-use development project proximate to the Washington Nationals Stadium.
- Represented an international bank in the formation of a joint venture to purchase a major regional shopping plaza at a foreclosure sale, and to advise the bank in connection with bidding at auction.
- Represented an investment bank in its equity investment and origination of mezzanine construction financing of a residential condominium development project located in a landmark district of San Francisco.
- Represented a Wall Street investment bank in several joint venture and mezzanine loan financing transactions in connection with the acquisition, development, and construction of a five-star resort hotel and residential condominium in Telluride, Colorado.
- Represented the private equity arm of an investment bank in a platform joint venture with a commercial bank and an owner-operator to originate mezzanine loans and equity investments in real estate transactions.
- Represented a consortium of private equity funds in a platform joint venture with a hotel operator to acquire and manage hotels throughout the United States.
JV, Financing Team Help Bring The District at 15fifteen to Life - Jan 19, 2023
Tony Coscia Named Among the ROI-NJ 2022 Real Estate Influencers - Dec 6, 2022
Windels Marx Named to the 2023 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 3, 2022
For 2022, Super Lawyers Recognizes 12 Lawyers in New York Metro Edition and 2 Rising Stars - Oct 11, 2022
NAIOP-NJ Recognizes Tony Coscia with Industry Service Award - Jul 5, 2022
Jonathan Kret Promoted to Partner - Mar 18, 2022
Real Estate NJ Features DEVCO, Quotes Tony Coscia on Their Unique Success - Dec 20, 2021
Jodi L. Sokol Joins as Special Counsel - Nov 8, 2021
Tony Coscia Named to NJBIZ Commercial Real Estate Power 50, 2020 Edition - Nov 9, 2020
Windels Marx Named 5th Largest RE Practice in NY for 2019, Wayne Cook Quoted - Oct 1, 2019
NYREJ Publishes Annual Women in Real Estate, including Gagliano, Margiano, Weinig - Sep 17, 2019
The Real Deal Names Real Estate Practice #6 in New York - Oct 1, 2018
Angela Crowder Joins Windels Marx as Special Counsel - Aug 17, 2018
Real Estate NJ Spotlights Leading Law Firms in New Jersey - Apr 30, 2018
Sanofi-Aventis Campus Deal Wins Creative Deal of the Year Award - May 21, 2014
Real Estate Team Joins Win Partners to Reduce Homelessness for Women and Their Children - Mar 14, 2023
Jack Conboy Moderates Bisnow Panel at National Finance Summit - Sep 22, 2022
Jack Conboy Moderates Panel at Bisnow’s National Real Estate Finance Summit - Oct 5, 2021
Christopher Dean Presents on Joint Ventures at NJICLE December 12th - Dec 12, 2019
Opportunity Zone Funds: A New Fund Frontier by Christopher Dean - Mar 26, 2019
Opportunity Zones - Investments in Qualified Opportunity Funds: Like-Kind Exchanges 2.0? - Oct 2, 2018