Wayne S. Cook, Jr. represents various institutional lenders in real estate financing transactions, including mortgage loans and mezzanine loans. He also represents clients in connection with construction loans, real estate acquisitions, dispositions, workouts, and restructuring of distressed loans on behalf of borrowers and lenders, and the purchase and sale of various loans. Recently, Mr. Cook's work has included large foreclosure actions and deed in-lieu resolutions in numerous states.
Prior to joining Windels Marx, Mr. Cook worked at a boutique general practice firm as an associate where he focused on representing private lenders and developers in real estate matters. He gained valuable finance and capital markets experience at Prudential Securities and Credit Suisse First Boston before attending law school.
Representations of Note
- Represented an established real estate investment/insurance company in closing over $1 billion of term and or construction loans across the U.S. over the last 15 months.
- Represented a prominent lender in a $50 million loan to the purchaser of the historical Wildenstein townhouse on Manhattan's Upper East Side, which was noted as the priciest townhouse to be sold in the City's history at the time.
- Represented Fortuna Realty Group in its acquisition of the Wyndham Hotel in the Flatiron District of New York, NY.
- Served as counsel to a prominent real estate developer in its recapitalization by the California State Teachers' Retirement System.
- Counseled a construction lender in connection with a $158 million loan to two SPEs to finance the construction of two buildings in Los Angeles, CA.
- Bisnow National Real Estate Finance Summit - Panel Moderator: A reprise of Solving for X: How to Get Financing in Today's Climate (September 24, 2019).
- Bisnow National Real Estate Finance Summit - Panel Moderator: Solving for X: How to Get Financing in Today's Climate (September 6, 2018).
- Bisnow 6th Annual Hotel and Investment Forum - Panel Moderator: Acquisitions and Development (April 21, 2016).
- The Real Deal - "NYC’s Barrister Brain Trust" (October 1, 2019)
- The Real Deal - "Judgment Day for NYC's Law Firms" (October 1, 2018)
- Commercial Observer - "With His Hospitality Niche, Morris Moinian is Making a Big Play in Chelsea, Flatiron" (February 22, 2017)
- New York Real Estate Journal - "2016 Year in Review Spotlight," (December 20, 2016)
- Law360 - "CMBS Loans In Hard-Hit Detroit, Cleveland, Take Creativity," (November 10, 2016)
- New York Business Journal - "Airbnb: New bill hurts millennials the most as property listings in N.Y.C. decrease," (November 8, 2016)
- Law360 - CMBS Borrowers Waiting For Nonbank Lenders To Emerge," (April 25, 2016)
- Bisnow Media - "Despite Worries About Supply, Some Say NYC Still 'Under-Hoteled," (April 22, 2016)
- Bisnow Media - "Jury Still Out When It Comes to Airbnb's Impact on Hotels," (April 15, 2016)
- Law360 - "Hotels Face Challenges As Wave Of CMBS Maturities Nears," (March 1, 2016)
- Advisory Board Member - The Ray Pfeifer Foundation
- Windels Marx Named 5th Largest RE Practice in NY for 2019, Wayne Cook Quoted - Oct 1, 2019
- The Real Deal Names Real Estate Practice #6 in New York - Oct 1, 2018
- Real Estate Finance Team, Led by Wayne Cook, Closes Loan on Prominent Property - Jun 21, 2017
- Wayne Cook Contributes to NYREJ's "Year in Review Spotlight" - Jun 19, 2017
- New York Finance Team Wraps Loan for Prominent UES Property - Apr 6, 2017
- Wayne Cook Quoted in Commercial Observer - Feb 22, 2017
- Wayne Cook Discusses CMBS Loans with Law360 - Nov 10, 2016
- Wayne Cook Talks to NYBJ on Hotel Industry Impact from Airbnb - Nov 8, 2016
- Wayne Cook on Emerging Nonbank Lenders in Law360 - Apr 28, 2016
- Wayne Cook Talks Hotels, Airbnb with Bisnow - Apr 21, 2016
- Wayne Cook Weighs in on CMBS Maturities in Law360 - Mar 10, 2016
- Wayne Cook, David Glanz Counsel Fortuna Realty on Hotel Acquisition - Mar 2, 2016
- Jim Thomas, Wayne Cook, Robert Rossi and Team Represent Joint Venture in $230 Million Construction Loan for High-End Condominium - Dec 14, 2012
- Wayne Cook, Gary Finiguerra Represent Real Estate Investor in First EVEN Hotel Deal - Dec 13, 2012
- Windels Marx Prominently Involved in Teachers' Fund's Purchase of Developer - Aug 14, 2012
- Windels Marx Promotes Three to Partner: Tony Casas, Wayne Cook, Jr., and Scott Matthews - May 10, 2011