Christopher E. Dean's corporate practice focuses on all aspects of business law, including joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, corporate restructurings, start-up financing, corporate governance, trademark and patent licensing and general corporate matters. Mr. Dean has developed significant proficiency in representing real estate developers and institutional investors in the structuring and negotiation of joint ventures in a real estate context. Mr. Dean regularly represents domestic and foreign institutional clients as well as closely held businesses and start-up entities. Mr. Dean also represents a number of not-for-profit corporations in corporate governance matters.
- Represented the seller in the sale of FCC mobile phone licenses to two large mobile phone service providers in transactions totaling over $60 million.
- Represented the seller of a clinical laboratory business in the sale of the assets of the business to a large clinical laboratory entity.
- Represented an Irish receiver in the sale of the shares of a Delaware corporation which was the majority owner of an ethanol plant in Iowa.
- Represented a large institutional investor in connection with the negotiation of numerous joint ventures with real estate developers throughout the United States.
- Represented a Chinese institutional investor in its investment in a condominium development project in downtown Manhattan.
- Represented a venture capital investor in its preferred equity investment in an internet start-up.
- Represented an affordable assisted living residence owner in the private placement of its limited liability company membership interests and promissory notes.
- Represented a well-known restaurant owner in the formation and negotiation of numerous joint ventures in connection with the opening of restaurants and nightclubs in Manhattan.
- Represented a not-for-profit affordable housing corporation in its role as the sponsor of a $50 million real estate investment fund.
- Represented a large university in the formation of numerous start-up entities to commercialize intellectual property and provided counsel with respect to limited liability company agreements, employee benefit plans, employment agreements and intellectual property licensing.
- Serve as corporate general counsel to a Canadian tobacco manufacturer handling all corporate matters including distribution agreements, supply agreements, manufacturing agreements and financing transactions.
Prior to joining Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf, LLP, Mr. Dean was an associate in a large New York City law firm in the mergers and acquisitions department. While attending St. John's University School of Law, he was a member of the Law Review.
- December 12, 2019 - Presentation on Joint Ventures as part of Commercial Leasing 2019: Complex Issues in Commercial Real Estate, hosted by NJICLE.
- May 7 and 9, 2019 - Windels Marx Opportunity Zones Roundtable.
- March 12, 2019 - IMN Inaugural Opportunity Zones Forum - Panelist: Understanding the Ins and Outs of Opportunity Zones.
Authored & Quoted
- "Opportunity zones aren’t just for real estate," Crain's NY Business (May 24, 2019)
- "Multi-asset vs. Single-Asset Qualified Opportunity Funds," Crain's NY Business (May 24, 2019)
- Opportunity Zone Funds: A New Fund Frontier (March 2019)
Memberships and Affiliations
- New York City Bar Association (former member of the Corporation Law Committee)
- Holy Cross Lawyer's Association
- Windels Marx Reps Purchaser of 546 Broadway, UNIQLO's Flagship - Jun 11, 2021
- Charles Hamilton Counsels ScanlanKemperBard-Carbyne, LLC on $180M Building Acquisition - Mar 4, 2016
- Sanofi-Aventis Campus Deal Wins Creative Deal of the Year Award - May 21, 2014
- Windels Marx Elevates Christopher E. Dean and Jeanine T. Margiano to Partner - Aug 27, 2013
- Real Estate Sale Involving Windels Marx Team Wins Award as 2nd 'Most Ingenious Deal of the Year' - Jun 25, 2013
- Sanofi-Aventis Campus Deal Reaches Finish Line On Tight Timetable - Apr 26, 2013
- Mike Moriarty, Lenny LaBarbiera, Jeanine Margiano and Chris Dean Secure $35 Million in Tax-Exempt Bonds for Construction of Assisted Living Facility - Mar 8, 2013
- Mitch Gilbert, David Glanz and Team Complete Phase One of $200+ Million Sale of Trophy Multifamily Building in Tribeca - Oct 6, 2011
- Real Estate Team, Led by Mitch Gilbert, Counsels on 88 Leonard Sale - Jun 28, 2011
- Corporate & Securities
- Corporate Formation & Finance
- Financial Transactions
- General Corporate Matters
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- IP, Technology & e-Commerce
- Real Estate
- Joint Venture/Equity Investments
- Renewable Energy & Sustainability
- Health Law
- COVID-19 Response & Resources
- J.D., magna cum laude, St. John's University School of Law, 1999
- B.A., College of the Holy Cross, 1996
- New York