Renewable Energy & Sustainability
We’re in the middle of a seismic shift in the way we generate, distribute and consume energy. Decommissioned nuclear and coal plants are being replaced with community solar, offshore wind and storage solutions. Traditional transmission networks are being modified to accommodate distributed generation and microgrids. Net metering is obscuring the line between power producers and users. Electric vehicles offer energy storage as well as transportation. And bikes, scooters and shared mobility programs are changing the way we think about personal transportation.
These changes are being brought about by a rich mix of governmental entities, developers, advocacy organizations, nonprofits, banks, investment funds and entrepreneurs. Maneuvering through this rapidly changing environment requires a wide array of expertise, from government relations and regulatory counseling, to permitting and licensing, Federal and state tax incentives, structured finance, real estate development, fund formation and technology.
With a highly regarded Governmental Relations Practice Group, deep Tax expertise, a sophisticated Financial Transactions Practice Group that represents a wide swath of financial institutions, one of the largest Real Estate departments in the region and one of the best known ground Transportation groups in the country, Windels Marx combines the regulatory knowledge, market expertise and financing experience to help clients navigate the regulatory maze, analyze and structure complex transactions and get projects done.
Among our many notable engagements, we have:
- Represented one of the largest banks in the country on the financing of several solar farms located in multiple states.
- Advised one of the most active financial institutions in this space on the purchase of several energy efficiency loan portfolios from utilities and governmental entities.
- Advised a regional bank on leveraging the energy lending operations of a community development financial institution.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice to a private equity fund in connection with its competitive bids for offshore wind projects in New York and New Jersey.
- Advised several cities, including Denver, Seattle and Los Angeles, on the development and regulation of shared mobility options.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice to the State of New Jersey Transit Agency on the financing and development of a new electricity substation in Kearny, New Jersey.
- Represented the seller of a majority interest in an ethanol plant in Iowa in connection with the sale of its interest and the structuring of the financing for the sale.
- Advised an international water company in connection with its competitive bid for long term water and wastewater concession in the State of Florida.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice to the developer of a leading international ridesharing app.
- Counselled several companies providing electric personal transportation devices on regulatory compliance and approvals.