Michael focuses on the structuring, negotiation, and documentation of a variety of credit products, including broadly syndicated corporate loans, asset-based loans, cash flow loans, trade and supply-chain finance, the purchase and sale of individual loans and loan portfolios, and the workout of troubled assets. His clients include money-center and regional banks, foreign banks, investment funds and finance companies.
Representative Transactions - Middle Market ABL
- $45 million senior secured revolving credit facility to an importer and distributor of chemicals and its European subsidiaries.
- $22.5 million secured revolving credit facility to a taxi medallion financing and servicing company.
- $9 million senior secured revolving credit facility to a sponsor-owned jewelry retailer.
- $11 million senior secured credit facility to finance the acquisition of a specialty transportation company by two private equity funds.
- $14 million senior secured credit facility to an importer and distributor of specialty apparel and footwear.
- $15 million senior secured credit facility to a sponsor-backed graphics and communications company.
Representative Transactions - Middle Market Cash Flow
- $97 million unsecured line of credit to a large healthcare company.
- $45 million senior loan to a newly-formed subsidiary of a European conglomerate to finance the acquisition of a vineyard.
- $23 million senior term loan and revolving credit facility to a for-profit education institution owned by several financial sponsors.
- $18 million secured credit facility to a key supplier of a major car manufacturer.
- $15 million secured credit facility to a distributor of consumer electronics products.
- $15 million senior secured revolving credit facility to an auto parts manufacturer.
Representative Transactions - Broadly Syndicated Loans
- Regularly serve as counsel to several large banks in connection with their participation in broadly syndicated corporate transactions.
- Counsel to an asset-based lender in connection with the purchase of a $25 million assignment in a $175 million senior secured revolving credit facility to a business development company.
- Counsel to a foreign bank in connection with the purchase of an $87.5 million participation in a $1 billion margin loan to a media holding company.
- Crain's New York Business Middle Market Roundtable: 2020, 2019.
- What is Bitcoin and How Do I take a Security Interest In It?, Windels Marx Financial Transactions Newsletter (June 27, 2016)
- Eight risks to manage when buying trade receivables, Trade Financing Matters (April 17, 2014)
- Supplier Networks and Factors - Not a Match made in Heaven, Trade Financing Matters (March 31, 2014)
- The New Face of Trade Finance: The Rise of Supply Chain Finance (SCF), Windels Marx Webinar (July 10, 2013)
- Ocean Fright: Financing Goods in Transit Covered by Sea Waybills, BNA Banking Report (October 23, 2012)
- When Importer Security Filing Rules Conflict With Accepted Trade Finance Practice, BNA Banking Report (December 20, 2011)
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- American Bar Association (Member of the Business Law and International Law Sections)
- Herman Goldman Foundation (Director)
- Pelham Civic Association (Director)
- Village of Pelham, New York (Former Mayor)
- SuperLawyers New York Metro 2015 to 2019 - Banking
- SuperLawyers New York Metro 2014 - Banking, International and Securities & Corporate Finance
- Super Lawyers Recognizes 15 Windels Marx Lawyers on New York Metro, Rising Stars Lists - Sep 12, 2019
- New York Metro Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 14 Lawyers - Sep 13, 2018
- Super Lawyers New York Metro 2016 Roster Announced - Sep 21, 2016
- Michael Clain on "What is Bitcoin and How Do I Take a Security Interest In It?" - Jun 27, 2016
- Super Lawyers New York Metro 2015 Roster Announced - Sep 16, 2015
- New York Metro SuperLawyers Names 20 Windels Marx Lawyers to 2014 Edition - Sep 23, 2014
- Acquisition International Magazine Cites Firm's Role in Acquisition of Wine Producer - Sep 17, 2013
- Lending Team Closes Impressive Series of Deals in Q3 - Aug 30, 2012
- Michael Clain Contributes to ACG's "Private Capital Review" - Jan 11, 2012
- Michael Clain and James Pastore Serve as U.S. Counsel on Atrium Innovations' $325 million Credit Facility - Dec 28, 2011
- Michael Clain Represents Leading ABL Financial Institution in $14.9 million Credit Facility - Nearly $100 million in ABL Deals for Second Half of 2011 - Dec 28, 2011
- Michael Clain Quoted in NJBiz.com's "Executives Offer Tips at Gateway to International Trade Event" - May 10, 2011
- COVID-19 - Upcoming Webinars on The Main Street Lending Program - May 20, 2020
- Windels Marx Hosts Healthcare Roundtable on May 16th - May 16, 2012
- Michael Clain and Kaylie Lotzof Spoke on Factoring the Web - Jan 19, 2012
- COVID-19 – The CARES Act: Federal Reserve Board Issues Additional Guidance on The Main Street Lending Program - May 6, 2020
- COVID-19 - The CARES Act: The Main Street Lending Program - Apr 16, 2020
- Michael Clain Discusses the Middle Market with Crain's New York Business - Feb 10, 2020
- Michael Clain Featured in Crain's NY Business "Middle Market Roundtable" - Mar 18, 2019
- Michael Clain Authors "Ocean Fright: Financing Goods In Transit Covered By Sea Waybills" for the BNA Banking Report - Oct 26, 2012
- Michael Clain Pens "When Importer Security Filing Rules Conflict With Accepted Trade Finance Practice" for the BNA Banking Report - Dec 28, 2011
- Financial Transactions
- Asset-Based Lending
- Corporate Finance & Syndicated Lending
- Cross-Border Transactions
- Middle Market Lending
- Trade Finance
- Workouts & Restructurings
- IP, Technology & e-Commerce
- COVID-19 Resources
- J.D., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Columbia University School of Law, 1981
- B.A., Binghamton University, 1978
- New York