Michael has extensive experience representing not-for-profit organizations and financial institutions. He represents a variety of foreign and domestic banks and other lending institutions in lending transactions, as well as loan restructurings, workouts, foreclosures and other asset recovery matters. He also represents for-profit and not-for-profit housing developers and operators of assisted living and independent senior citizen housing communities as well as skilled nursing facilities. Financing for these projects have utilized a combination of low-income housing tax credits, market-rate construction loans, tax-exempt bonds and take-out financing through commercial lenders, the New York State Housing Finance Agency, and the New York State Dormitory Authority.
Mr. Moriarty has also acted as special senior housing counsel for Battery Park City Authority and has extensive experience in the area of privatization of New York State regulated public housing authorities.
Mr. Moriarty also provides general corporate and lending advice to the transportation industry, as well as many other corporate clients of the firm.
Select Representative Matters
- Served as counsel to National Asset Management Agency (NAMA, Ireland) in a significant victory in the New York Supreme Court regarding NAMA's efforts to enforce a €270 million ($351 million) Irish court judgment against an Irish developer's U.S.-based assets.
- Represented a large European bank in the $178 million restructuring of a multi-state portfolio of commercial mortgage real estate loans, simultaneously with a restructuring of other distressed commercial real estate assets in Europe.
- Represented a large European bank in the refinancing of an existing $126 million mortgage loan on a Class A, architecturally noted office building on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC.
- Represented a for-profit developer in connection with the issuance by the Orange County Funding Corporation of $35.5 million in revenue bonds, the proceeds of which were used to finance the acquisition, construction and equipping of a new 130-unit assisted living facility for low-income elderly persons.
- Represented a large not-for-profit healthcare system in connection with the sale of a 520-bed skilled nursing facility located in New York City.
- Represented a for-profit family-owned healthcare campus, including a skilled nursing unit, acute care beds, memory impaired facility and other related healthcare service providers in connection with the sale of its operations to various healthcare entities. The sale included the transfer of all real estate and operating assets.
- Engaged by independent board committees of transportation and education corporations to conduct fraud investigations targeting insider financial abuse. Investigations included engagements of forensic accountants and extensive employee interviews with reports and recommendations delivered to boards of directors of the corporations.
For eight years Mr. Moriarty served as Chairman of the United States Military Academy Nominating Committee for the Second Congressional District in New York. He is Chairman of the Board of Trustees of The De LaSalle School, a scholarship middle school for disadvantaged young men located on Long Island and serves as a Trustee for St. Patrick's Home, as well as The Catholic Foundation for the Archdiocese of New York.
Authored & Quoted
- "A Head for Real Estate, A Heart for Affordable Housing,"Affordable Housing News (Winter 2014)
- "New York Nonprofit Revitalization Act of 2013," Windels Marx - Non-Profit Sector Alert (May 2014)
- "Changes in real estate credit, Part II: Direct bond purchase transactions," New York Real Estate Journal (December 2013)
- "How do direct purchases replace letters of credit in the marketplace?", New York Real Estate Journal (October 2013)
- "Reinstatement of Accelerated Mortgage Loans: An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure," a Windels Marx Real Estate publication (August 21, 2012)
Mr. Moriarty was named to the Irish Legal 100, an annual list created by The Irish Voice Newspaper to honor the superior achievements of practitioners who are of Irish descent.
- Charles Hamilton Represents Boyce Technologies, Inc. on $20M Acquisition - Apr 15, 2016
- Mike Moriarty and Rob Wilk Facilitate "Win-Win" Result in $43 Million Loan Workout - Apr 10, 2013
- Mike Moriarty, Lenny LaBarbiera, Jeanine Margiano and Chris Dean Secure $35 Million in Tax-Exempt Bonds for Construction of Assisted Living Facility - Mar 8, 2013
- Complete Monetary Recovery on Defaulted Loan Facilitated by Mike Moriarty and Rob Wilk - Dec 17, 2012
- Mike Moriarty, Dan Pocchiari and Rob Wilk Close $168 Million Loan for International Business Company in International Gem Tower Deal - Oct 8, 2012
- NYLJ Reports on Case of First Impression for Swap Agreements - May 14, 2012
- The Irish Times Reports on a Significant Victory in NY State Supreme Court Case for Ireland's National Asset Loan Management Limited - May 10, 2012
- Michael Moriarty, David Glanz and Team Represent International Lender in $126 mil. Refinancing on Pennsylvania Avenue - Feb 9, 2012
- Michael Moriarty, David Glanz and Team Counsel on Substantial Multi-State Loan Portfolio for European Bank Implementing a New Global Strategy - Sep 29, 2011
- Windels Marx Hosts Healthcare Roundtable on May 16th - May 16, 2012
- Affordable Housing News Profiles NY, NJ Practice - Dec 12, 2014
- Michele Arbeeny, Mike Moriarty on the New York Nonprofit Revitalization Act of 2013 - May 13, 2014
- Michele Arbeeny, Mike Moriarty author "Changes in real estate credit - Part II: Direct bond purchase transactions" for NYREJ - Dec 10, 2013
- Michele Arbeeny, Mike Moriarty Ask New York Real Estate Journal's "Question of the Month" - Nov 6, 2013
- Reinstatement of Accelerated Mortgage Loans - Aug 21, 2012
- Public Finance & Not-for-Profit
- Real Estate
- Financial Transactions
- Middle Market Lending
- Cross-Border Transactions
- Corporate & Securities
- Corporate Formation & Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- General Corporate Matters
- Corporate Governance
- Infrastructure Development & Finance
- Tax Lien & Mortgage Foreclosure
- Workouts & Restructurings
- Health Law
- COVID-19 Resources
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 1983
- B.A., with honors, Stony Brook University, 1980
- New York