Windels Marx has one of the largest community banking practices in the region. Our clients range in size from recent start-ups to those with several billion in assets, and from closely held Subchapter "S" banks to publicly traded institutions.
Our services include:
- regulatory compliance,
- securities law compliance,
- capital raising,
- mergers and acquisitions advice,
- employment law compliance,
- general corporate advice and
- asset recovery.
Bank Regulatory & Compliance Matters
We represent our financial institution clients before all state and federal regulatory agencies, including the Federal Reserve, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). We provide advice on general regulatory compliance, assist in negotiating and complying with regulatory enforcement actions and guide clients through the process of obtaining regulatory approvals for various transactions. Historically, we have been active in working with investor groups seeking to obtain de novo bank charters, guiding them through the regulatory approval and capital raising process.
We assist our clients in complying with federal and state securities laws, both on an ongoing basis for those clients whose securities are publicly traded and in connection with capital raising transactions. For those clients that are subject to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, we prepare and review periodic reports, assist with Section 16 compliance and generally provide advice on disclosure and compliance issues. On capital raising transactions, we will work with our clients to ensure that the transaction and disclosure documents meet all legal and regulatory requirements applicable to the client, whether they are subject to the Securities Act of 1933, OCC regulations or general anti-fraud requirements.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our merger and acquisition practice assists both buyers and sellers in a variety of transactions, including traditional mergers, stock purchases, recapitalization transactions and asset/liability purchase and assumption transactions. In representing our clients, we assist in the diligence process, negotiate and draft definitive deal documents and represent our clients in the regulatory approval process, preparing and filing any necessary applications and responding to regulatory comments and concerns.
General Corporate Matters for Banks
For many of our community banking clients, we serve as an outside general counsel, providing general corporate services, such as contract review and negotiation, advice with regard to compensation plans and employment agreements, and advice on corporate governance issues, including Board and committee structures and policies and procedures.
Select Matters of Note
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a state-chartered bank in its definitive merger agreement with another state chartered bank. The combined entity will have assets of over $500 million with seven branches in New Jersey.
- Represented ConnectOne Bancorp, Inc. in its merger with Center Bancorp, Inc., a $243 million transaction that created the fourth largest bank with headquarters in New Jersey, combined assets of approximately $3 billion, and 24 locations in northern New Jersey.
- Represented Team Capital Bank in connection with its $122 million acquisition by Provident Financial Services and merger into The Provident Bank, forming a bank with $8.2 billion in combined assets and 90 branches in 13 counties in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Represented South Jersey-based Colonial Financial Services, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Cape Bancorp, Inc. for approximately $55 million, forming a combined bank with an estimated $1.6 billion in assets and 22 locations throughout New Jersey.
- Represented the largest Korean-American bank headquartered in the Northeast in connection with its $32.5 million acquisition by a West Coast bank seeking to expand on the East Coast.
- Represented Riverside Bank in its $28 million merger agreement with Salisbury Bancorp, Inc., forming a bank with approximately $808 million in total assets, $630 million in total loans and $682 million in total deposits with 13 branch locations across Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York.
- Represented a New Jersey bank holding company in the execution of a merger agreement related to its acquisition by another New Jersey bank holding company for an estimated $27 million.
- Represented Indus-American Bancorp in a $20 million merger agreement with BCB Bancorp Inc., the holding company for BCB Community Bank, pursuant to which BCB will acquire IAB and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Indus-American Bank.
Other Banking Matters of Note
- Represented a New Jersey bank with approximately $880 million in assets and eight branches in its application raise up to $46 million through an initial public offering (IPO).
- Represented First Bank in its $22 million private placement of subordinated notes.
- Represented Highlands Bancorp, Inc. in the completion of an $8.5 million private placement of common stock.
- Represented Highlands Bancorp, Inc. in the completion of a $5 million private placement of subordinated debt.
- Represented a Pennsylvania-based bank is its application to move its bank charter to New Jersey.
- Successfully resolved a shareholder litigation at an early stage, which allowed the previously announced merger of two banks to proceed.
Attorneys in the Banking Practice Group work synergistically with colleagues in our other practice groups, providing clients with comprehensive representation, including: Bankruptcy & Creditor's Rights; Corporate & Securities; Employment & Employee Benefits; Financial Transactions; Governmental Relations; Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution; Public Finance & Not-for-Profit; Real Estate; Tax, including Certiorari & Tax Appeals; and Workouts & Restructurings.
NJBIZ Announces 2023 Power 100, Tony Coscia Honored - Feb 20, 2023
ROI-NJ Names Tony Coscia Among the Influencers: Power List 2023 - Feb 9, 2023
Windels Marx Named to the 2023 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 3, 2022
For 2022, Super Lawyers Recognizes 12 Lawyers in New York Metro Edition and 2 Rising Stars - Oct 11, 2022
Best Lawyers in America 2023 Recognizes 25 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 18, 2022
ROI-NJ Announces Influencers: Law List for '22 - Tony Coscia Recognized - Jul 28, 2022
NJBIZ Announces the '22 Edition of Power Law 50 - Tony Coscia at #2 - Jul 25, 2022
ROI-NJ Names Tony Coscia Among the Influencers: Power List 2022 Top 50 - Feb 23, 2022
NJBIZ Announces Tony Coscia at #1 in the 2022 Power 100 - Feb 21, 2022
Windels Marx Named to the 2022 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 4, 2021
For 2021, Super Lawyers Recognizes 18 Lawyers in New York Metro and Rising Stars Editions - Sep 30, 2021
Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 2 Lawyers for 2021 - Mar 23, 2021
Windels Marx Named to the 2021 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 5, 2020
Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
COVID-19 - NJ Governor Murphy Taps Tony Coscia for the Restart and Recovery Commission - Apr 28, 2020
Windels Marx Named to Best Law Firms 2020 - Nov 4, 2019
Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
Windels Marx Promotes Krauss, Mody, Rosen, Tattoni to Partner - Apr 24, 2019
NJBIZ Announces Vanguard Series "Leaders in Law" with Bob Schwartz, Julie Tattoni - Jun 25, 2018
Bob Schwartz, Greg Krauss and John Bitar Represent Colonial Financial Services in $55 Million Acquisition by Cape Bancorp - Sep 11, 2014
American Banker Article Highlights Firm's Success on Bank Merger Cases - Sep 5, 2014
Best Lawyers 2015 Includes Four Windels Marx Attorneys - Aug 20, 2014
Bob Schwartz, Greg Krauss and Team Represent New Jersey Bank in $5 Million Subordinated Debt Investment - May 19, 2014
Bob Schwartz and Greg Krauss Counsel Poughkeepsie-Based Bank in Strategic Merger Agreement - Mar 20, 2014
Bob Schwartz Counsels First Bank in Heritage Acquisition - Jul 16, 2013
Bob Schwartz, Greg Krauss Represent New Jersey Based Korean-American Bank in $32.5 Million Acquisition by Wilshire Bancorp - Jun 10, 2013
Bob Schwartz and John Bitar Represent New Jersey Bank in Merger and $27 Million Acquisition - Jun 7, 2013
Clark Alpert, Robert Schwartz and David Butler Resolve Shareholder Litigation to Preserve Merger of New Jersey Banks - May 1, 2013
Bob Schwartz, John Bitar, Greg Krauss Counsel Bank's Switch to New Jersey State Charter - Feb 11, 2013
Bob Schwartz Quoted on E-Security Measures for Company Bank Accounts - Jul 18, 2012
New York Law: Should Lenders Hold Both Equity in Borrower and a Mortgage as Collateral Security? Is There a Defense to an Article 9 Sale of the Equity Interests in the Borrower and Are the Related Loan Documents Void? - Jul 24, 2020
COVID-19 - The CARES Act: The Main Street Lending Program - Apr 16, 2020
COVID-19 - The CARES Act: SBA Sec. 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Loan Forgiveness - Apr 9, 2020
COVID-19 - Summary of the Revised Interagency Statement on Loan Modifications and Reporting for Financial Institutions Working with Customers Affected by the Coronavirus - Apr 8, 2020
COVID-19 - NJ Legislature Bill To Assist Small Businesses Clears Senate - Mar 19, 2020
The JOBS Act - Impact on Community Banks - Mar 29, 2012