Government entities - including legislatures and various agencies - have an enormous impact on the way organizations do business. To help our clients not only comply with applicable laws and regulations, but also to shape the policies and decisions that affect them, we offer a comprehensive governmental relations, legislative, and regulatory practice in New Jersey.
Our strength as advisors and advocates comes from our extensive political experience, our intimate knowledge of government processes, and continuing interaction with public officials. We have a familiarity with the halls of government built on long-standing relationships with legislative leaders, executive departments, and administrative agencies.
The Governmental Relations Practice Group handles legislative and regulatory matters for major property, casualty, and life insurers; financial institutions; and real estate developers.
Areas of Focus
- Analyzing, monitoring, and reporting to clients on pending and final actions by New Jersey executive departments and the Legislature.
- Appearing on behalf of clients in hearings and proceedings before legislative committees and administrative agencies.
- When appropriate, arranging meetings between clients and key personnel in the legislative and executive branches.
- Advising clients on techniques and strategies for affecting legislative and regulatory actions.
- Drafting legislative amendments, proposed regulations, formal comments on regulations, and legal opinions interpreting proposed and newly enacted laws and regulations.
We regularly appear before the New Jersey Legislature and nearly every department and agency of the New Jersey state government, including the departments of Banking and Insurance, Environmental Protection, Community Affairs, and Transportation.
- Represented various prominent property and casualty insurers before the New Jersey Legislature in connection with major reforms to the New Jersey automobile insurance marketplace.
- Represented the property and casualty and financial services industries in influencing significant legislative and regulatory proposals affecting them.
- Represented various property and casualty insurers, negotiating the terms of their market entry into New Jersey and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals from the Department of Banking and Insurance.
- Represented the New Jersey Urban Redevelopment Authority in budgetary negotiations with the New Jersey legislative and executive branches.
- Represented numerous large developers, appearing before the New Jersey Department of Transportation to obtain major access permits and highway improvements.
- Represented major developers in obtaining wetlands permits from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and appearing before that agency with regard to land use regulation and sewer connections, including assistance in connection with large-scale office and warehouse development in Central New Jersey.
- Represented an insurance client, handling all regulatory approvals before the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance for the acquisition of a major property and casualty insurer and its New Jersey business.
- Represented various insurance clients in the acquisition and sale of insurers or book transfers and numerous other holding company transactions.
- Represented a major trade association in hearings before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities regarding changes to the New Jersey one-call system.
- Represented various clients before the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance regarding market conduct exams, financial exams, consumer complaints, and other compliance issues.
Attorneys in the Governmental Relations Practice Group work closely with colleagues in the Firm's other Practice Groups, including Energy & Utilities, Environmental Law, Insurance, Real Estate, and Transportation, providing clients with comprehensive representation.
ROI-NJ Names Tony Coscia Among the Influencers: Power List 2023 - Feb 9, 2023
Windels Marx Named to Best Law Firms 2023 - Nov 3, 2022
Best Lawyers in America 2023 Recognizes 25 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 18, 2022
ROI-NJ Announces Influencers: Law List for '22 - Tony Coscia Recognized - Jul 28, 2022
NJBIZ Announces the '22 Edition of Power Law 50 - Tony Coscia at #2 - Jul 25, 2022
Sanjay Mody Named to City & State’s Power of Diversity: Asian 100 - May 3, 2022
City & State Names Sanjay Mody to its Prestigious 2022 Law Power 100 - Mar 7, 2022
ROI-NJ Names Tony Coscia Among the Influencers: Power List 2022 Top 50 - Feb 23, 2022
NJBIZ Announces Tony Coscia at #1 in the 2022 Power 100 - Feb 21, 2022
Real Estate NJ Features DEVCO, Quotes Tony Coscia on Their Unique Success - Dec 20, 2021
Windels Marx Named to the 2022 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 4, 2021
Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
Tony Coscia Recognized by NJBIZ Power Law 50 - Jul 26, 2021
Sanjay Mody Named to City & State's Asian 100 List for 2021 - Jul 19, 2021
City & State Recognizes Sanjay Mody in Law Power 100 - Mar 26, 2021
Tony Coscia Recognized by NJBIZ Power 100 - Feb 22, 2021
Tony Coscia Recognized by ROI-NJ Influencers: Power - Feb 22, 2021
Windels Marx Named to the 2021 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 5, 2020
Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
COVID-19 - NJ Governor Murphy Taps Tony Coscia for the Restart and Recovery Commission - Apr 28, 2020
ROI-NJ Announces the Influencers Power List for 2020 - Tony Coscia at #15 - Feb 26, 2020
Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
Windels Marx Promotes Krauss, Mody, Rosen, Tattoni to Partner - Apr 24, 2019
COVID-19 - The CARES Act: SBA Sec. 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Loan Forgiveness - Apr 9, 2020
COVID-19 - NJ Legislature Bill To Assist Small Businesses Clears Senate - Mar 19, 2020
NJ Governor Signs Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 27, 2014
NJ Legislature Concurs with Conditional Veto of Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 16, 2014
NJ Governor Takes Action on Two Critical Bills - Sep 12, 2014
Tony Coscia, Charles Liebling and Julie Tattoni Provide Regulatory Update on "Tax Incentives Overhaul Legislation: New Jersey Economic Opportunity Act of 2013" - Sep 17, 2013
NJEDA Has Begun Its Competitive Solicitation Process for the Residential Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Program - Oct 26, 2012