Government entities - including legislatures and various agencies - have an enormous impact on the way organizations do business. To help our clients not only comply with applicable laws and regulations, but also to shape the policies and decisions that affect them, we offer a comprehensive governmental relations, legislative, and regulatory practice in New Jersey.
Our strength as advisors and advocates comes from our extensive political experience, our intimate knowledge of government processes, and continuing interaction with public officials. We have a familiarity with the halls of government built on long-standing relationships with legislative leaders, executive departments, and administrative agencies.
The Governmental Relations Practice Group handles legislative and regulatory matters for major property, casualty, and life insurers; financial institutions; and real estate developers.
Areas of Focus
- Analyzing, monitoring, and reporting to clients on pending and final actions by New Jersey executive departments and the Legislature.
- Appearing on behalf of clients in hearings and proceedings before legislative committees and administrative agencies.
- When appropriate, arranging meetings between clients and key personnel in the legislative and executive branches.
- Advising clients on techniques and strategies for affecting legislative and regulatory actions.
- Drafting legislative amendments, proposed regulations, formal comments on regulations, and legal opinions interpreting proposed and newly enacted laws and regulations.
We regularly appear before the New Jersey Legislature and nearly every department and agency of the New Jersey state government, including the departments of Banking and Insurance, Environmental Protection, Community Affairs, and Transportation.
- Represented various prominent property and casualty insurers before the New Jersey Legislature in connection with major reforms to the New Jersey automobile insurance marketplace.
- Represented the property and casualty and financial services industries in influencing significant legislative and regulatory proposals affecting them.
- Represented various property and casualty insurers, negotiating the terms of their market entry into New Jersey and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals from the Department of Banking and Insurance.
- Represented the New Jersey Urban Redevelopment Authority in budgetary negotiations with the New Jersey legislative and executive branches.
- Represented numerous large developers, appearing before the New Jersey Department of Transportation to obtain major access permits and highway improvements.
- Represented major developers in obtaining wetlands permits from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and appearing before that agency with regard to land use regulation and sewer connections, including assistance in connection with large-scale office and warehouse development in Central New Jersey.
- Represented an insurance client, handling all regulatory approvals before the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance for the acquisition of a major property and casualty insurer and its New Jersey business.
- Represented various insurance clients in the acquisition and sale of insurers or book transfers and numerous other holding company transactions.
- Represented a major trade association in hearings before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities regarding changes to the New Jersey one-call system.
- Represented various clients before the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance regarding market conduct exams, financial exams, consumer complaints, and other compliance issues.
Attorneys in the Governmental Relations Practice Group work closely with colleagues in the Firm's other Practice Groups, including Energy & Utilities, Environmental Law, Insurance, Real Estate, and Transportation, providing clients with comprehensive representation.
ROI-NJ Announces the Influencers Power List for 2020 - Tony Coscia at #15 - Feb 26, 2020
Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
Windels Marx Promotes Krauss, Mody, Rosen, Tattoni to Partner - Apr 24, 2019
COVID-19 - NJ Legislature Bill To Assist Small Businesses Clears Senate - Mar 19, 2020
NJBIZ Profiles Cannabis Law, Karl Frederic - Sep 18, 2019
Karl Piirimae Recaps MJBizCon, Legislative Developments for NJ Cannabis Insider - Dec 6, 2018
Karl Piirimae Explores the New Jersey Green Rush in Guest Column for NJ Cannabis Insider - Aug 30, 2018
NJ Governor Signs Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 27, 2014
NJ Legislature Concurs with Conditional Veto of Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 16, 2014
NJ Governor Takes Action on Two Critical Bills - Sep 12, 2014
Tony Coscia, Charles Liebling and Julie Tattoni Provide Regulatory Update on "Tax Incentives Overhaul Legislation: New Jersey Economic Opportunity Act of 2013" - Sep 17, 2013
NJEDA Has Begun Its Competitive Solicitation Process for the Residential Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Program - Oct 26, 2012