Sanjay Mody's practice spans the areas of infrastructure, real estate, government and finance. He advises public and private sector clients on a range of matters, focusing on complex transactions with a governmental dimension.
Before joining Windels Marx, Mr. Mody was counsel in the Regulatory and Government Affairs practice group at a global law firm. He also served in a prior role as Senior Advisor to the Chairman of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, where he advised the Chairman on policy, legal, and financial issues relating to the agency's infrastructure and economic development projects, including the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site, airport terminal redevelopment, and a new cross-Hudson rail tunnel, among other significant real estate transactions. Mr. Mody served as a law clerk to The Honorable Michael B. Mukasey, then the Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Advising a significant public authority in New York State on broad range of real estate matters, including potential dispositions of property, asset due diligence, compliance with State procurement and disposition rules, and review of ground leases with multiple commercial and residential developers.
- Advising a global infrastructure fund on sale of maritime property.
- Advising a global infrastructure fund on proposal to design, build, finance, operate and maintain new airline terminal building at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- Advising a private real estate developer on availability of federal financing programs, including RRIF and TIFIA, in connection with transit-oriented development project.
- Advising New Jersey transportation agency on joint venture with energy company to build new electrical substation.
- Advising airport fixed-base operator in connection with enforcement of use and occupancy agreement.
- Advising international airline on termination of lease at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- Advising public university in New Jersey on international regulatory and compliance issues arising out of faculty and student exchange programs.
- Advised a private sector consortium of financing, construction, and operating entities bidding on the development of a new terminal building at LaGuardia International Airport.
- Advised the developer of a new intermodal facility and retail development in Massachusetts on federal (TIFIA, TIGER) and state infrastructure financing programs.
- Advised a global marine terminal operator on negotiations with a public agency concerning development of a ship-to-rail cargo facility.
- Advised a private water utility on the financing and construction of a new water desalination plant and related infrastructure in upstate New York.
- Advised a private educational institution in New York City on the redevelopment of its existing campus facilities, including potential joint ventures with for-profit developers.
- Advised a private interest in its philanthropic pursuit of developing a sports and recreational facility within a city or state park system.
- Advised multiple public universities on project labor agreements in connection with campus development projects.
- December 4, 2019 - BisNow Media presents NYC 2020 Forecast - Opening Keynote Moderator.
- May 7 and 9, 2019 - Windels Marx Opportunity Zones Roundtable.
- March 12, 2019 - IMN Inaugural Opportunity Zones Forum - Moderator: Finding the Right Market for You.
- March 28, 2018 - BisNow Media presents NYC 2030: The Future of The Big Apple - Panel Moderator: A Look into NYC Infrastructure Woes.
- June 22, 2017 - BisNow Media presents Big Finance Summit - Fireside Chat Moderator: Policy Impact.
- June 2, 2015 - CapRate Events presents The New York Multifamily Leadership Summit - Panel Moderator: The Developer Shift to Metro New York: Analysis of Opportunities Tied to Transit-Friendly Submarkets in New Jersey, Westchester County and Connecticut.
- April 30, 2015 - BisNow Media presents NYC's Emerging Markets Boom - Panel Moderator: The Next Frontiers of Investment and Development: Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx and More!
In the News
- Crain's New York Business - Infrastructure Roundtable (September 30, 2019)
- Crain's New York Business - Infrastructure Roundtable (October 1, 2018)
- "Brown Footnote 11 in Historical Context: Social Science and the Supreme Court's Quest for Legitimacy," 54 Stanford Law Review 793 (2002).
- "National Cyberspace Regulation: Unbundling the Concept of Jurisdiction," 37 Stanford Journal of International Law 365 (2001).
Professional Affiliations & Academia
- Board Member, Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy
- New York Committee, Regional Plan Association
- David S. Rockefeller Fellow, The Partnership for New York City
- New York City Bar Association
- March 2020 - Named to City & State Law Power 100.
- December 2019 - Recognized in the 2019 New York's Top Rated Lawyers, published by the New York Law Journal.
- December 2018 - Named to City & State Responsible 100.
- June 2018 - Named to Leaders in Law 2018 - New York Magazine
- May 2018 - Named to Ones to Watch in New York Real Estate Journal
- City & State Names 2020 Law Power 100 - Mody Makes List - Mar 17, 2020
- NYLJ Publishes 2019 Top Rated Lawyers, 6 Partners Recognized - Dec 9, 2019
- Windels Marx Promotes Krauss, Mody, Rosen, Tattoni to Partner - Apr 24, 2019
- City & State Announces its Annual "Responsible 100" - Dec 21, 2018
- New York Magazine Announces "Leaders in Law 2018" - Arbeeny, Hoffman, Mody Named to List - Jun 27, 2018
- NYREJ Names Sanjay Mody to "Ones to Watch" - May 15, 2018
- COVID-19 - The Main Street Lending Program: Federal Reserve Proposes Expansion to Non-Profit Organizations - Jun 30, 2020
- COVID-19 – The Main Street Lending Program: Federal Reserve Board Revises Key Terms of Main Street Lending Program, Updates FAQs and Launches Lender Registration - Jun 17, 2020
- COVID-19 – The Main Street Lending Program: Federal Reserve Board Revises Key Terms of Main Street Lending Program - Jun 9, 2020
- COVID-19 – The Main Street Lending Program: New May 2020 Guidance and Forms from Federal Reserve Bank of Boston - Jun 2, 2020
- COVID-19 – The CARES Act: Federal Reserve Board Issues Additional Guidance on The Main Street Lending Program - May 6, 2020
- COVID-19 - The CARES Act: SBA Sec. 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Loan Forgiveness - Apr 9, 2020
- COVID-19 - Guide to the Payroll Protection Program - Apr 9, 2020
- Sanjay Mody Featured in Crain's NY Business "Infrastructure Roundtable" - Oct 3, 2018
- Opportunity Zones - Investments in Qualified Opportunity Funds: Like-Kind Exchanges 2.0? - Oct 2, 2018
- Infrastructure Development & Finance
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance
- Acquisitions & Sales
- Governmental Relations
- Renewable Energy & Sustainability
- COVID-19 Response & Resources
- J.D., with distinction, Stanford Law School, 2002
- M.Phil., International Relations, Oxford University, 1997
- B.S., magna cum laude, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 1995
- New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York