Sanjay Mody's practice spans the areas of government, infrastructure and finance. He advises public and private sector clients on a range of strategic, corporate and governance matters. He co-founded and leads the Firm's Infrastructure Development & Finance Group.
Before joining Windels Marx, Mr. Mody was counsel in the Regulatory and Government Affairs practice group at a global law firm. He also served as Senior Advisor to the Chairman of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, where he advised the Chairman and the Board of Commissioners on policy, legal, and financial issues relating to the agency's infrastructure and economic development projects, including the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site, airport terminal redevelopment, and a new cross-Hudson rail tunnel; provided advice on corporate, governance and ethics matters; and worked in collaboration with the agency's senior management team. Mr. Mody served as a law clerk to The Honorable Michael B. Mukasey, then the Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Lead outside counsel to a significant public authority in New York State on corporate, governance and litigation matters, permitted use of agency revenues and bond proceeds, potential dispositions of property, asset due diligence, compliance with enabling statue and procurement and disposition rules, and review of ground leases with numerous commercial and residential tenants.
- Advising the owner and operator of World Trade Center retail on various matters related to its $2 billion investment.
- Advising a $300 million investment fund on the acquisition of strategic real estate assets across the United States.
- Advised a global infrastructure fund on sale of maritime property.
- Advised a global infrastructure fund on proposal to design, build, finance, operate and maintain new airline terminal building at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- Advised a private sector consortium of financing, construction, and operating entities bidding on the development of a new terminal building at LaGuardia International Airport.
- Advised a private real estate concern on availability of federal financing programs, including RRIF and TIFIA, in connection with transit-oriented development project.
- Advised an airport fixed-base operator in connection with enforcement of use and occupancy agreement.
- Advised a global marine terminal operator on negotiations with a public agency concerning development of a ship-to-rail cargo facility.
- December 4, 2019 - BisNow Media presents NYC 2020 Forecast - Opening Keynote Moderator.
- May 7 and 9, 2019 - Windels Marx Opportunity Zones Roundtable.
- March 12, 2019 - IMN Inaugural Opportunity Zones Forum - Moderator: Finding the Right Market for You.
- March 28, 2018 - BisNow Media presents NYC 2030: The Future of The Big Apple - Panel Moderator: A Look into NYC Infrastructure Woes.
- June 22, 2017 - BisNow Media presents Big Finance Summit - Fireside Chat Moderator: Policy Impact.
- June 2, 2015 - CapRate Events presents The New York Multifamily Leadership Summit - Panel Moderator: The Developer Shift to Metro New York: Analysis of Opportunities Tied to Transit-Friendly Submarkets in New Jersey, Westchester County and Connecticut.
- April 30, 2015 - BisNow Media presents NYC's Emerging Markets Boom - Panel Moderator: The Next Frontiers of Investment and Development: Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx and More!
In the News
- Crain's New York Business - Infrastructure Roundtable (September 30, 2019)
- Crain's New York Business - Infrastructure Roundtable (October 1, 2018)
- "Brown Footnote 11 in Historical Context: Social Science and the Supreme Court's Quest for Legitimacy," 54 Stanford Law Review 793 (2002).
- "National Cyberspace Regulation: Unbundling the Concept of Jurisdiction," 37 Stanford Journal of International Law 365 (2001).
Professional Affiliations & Academia
- Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee, Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy
- New York Committee, Regional Plan Association
- David S. Rockefeller Fellow, The Partnership for New York City
- New York City Bar Association
- City & State Diversity: Asian 100 (2021-2022)
- City & State Law Power 100 (2018, 2020-2022)
- City & State Responsible 100 (2018)
- New York Law Journal New York's Top Rated Lawyers (2019)
- New York Magazine Leaders in Law (2018)
- New York Real Estate Journal Ones to Watch (2018)
- Sanjay Mody Named to City & State’s Power of Diversity: Asian 100 - May 3, 2022
- City & State Names Sanjay Mody to its Prestigious 2022 Law Power 100 - Mar 7, 2022
- Sanjay Mody Named to City & State's Asian 100 List for 2021 - Jul 19, 2021
- Windels Marx Reps Purchaser of 546 Broadway, UNIQLO's Flagship - Jun 11, 2021
- City & State Recognizes Sanjay Mody in Law Power 100 - Mar 26, 2021
- City & State Names 2020 Law Power 100 - Mody Makes List - Mar 17, 2020
- NYLJ Publishes 2019 Top Rated Lawyers, 6 Partners Recognized - Dec 9, 2019
- Windels Marx Promotes Krauss, Mody, Rosen, Tattoni to Partner - Apr 24, 2019
- City & State Announces its Annual "Responsible 100" - Dec 21, 2018
- New York Magazine Announces "Leaders in Law 2018" - Arbeeny, Hoffman, Mody Named to List - Jun 27, 2018
- NYREJ Names Sanjay Mody to "Ones to Watch" - May 15, 2018
- COVID-19 - The Main Street Lending Program: Federal Reserve Proposes Expansion to Non-Profit Organizations - Jun 30, 2020
- COVID-19 – The Main Street Lending Program: Federal Reserve Board Revises Key Terms of Main Street Lending Program, Updates FAQs and Launches Lender Registration - Jun 17, 2020
- COVID-19 – The Main Street Lending Program: Federal Reserve Board Revises Key Terms of Main Street Lending Program - Jun 9, 2020
- COVID-19 – The Main Street Lending Program: New May 2020 Guidance and Forms from Federal Reserve Bank of Boston - Jun 2, 2020
- COVID-19 – The CARES Act: Federal Reserve Board Issues Additional Guidance on The Main Street Lending Program - May 6, 2020
- COVID-19 - The CARES Act: SBA Sec. 7(a) Paycheck Protection Program Loans and Loan Forgiveness - Apr 9, 2020
- COVID-19 - Guide to the Payroll Protection Program - Apr 9, 2020
- Sanjay Mody Featured in Crain's NY Business "Infrastructure Roundtable" - Oct 3, 2018
- Opportunity Zones - Investments in Qualified Opportunity Funds: Like-Kind Exchanges 2.0? - Oct 2, 2018
- Infrastructure Development & Finance
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance
- Acquisitions & Sales
- Governmental Relations
- J.D., with distinction, Stanford Law School, 2002
- M.Phil., International Relations, Oxford University, 1997
- B.S., magna cum laude, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 1995
- New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York