5th Largest Real Estate Law Firm in New York, The Real Deal (October 2019)
We represent both landlords and tenants in connection with complex leases, sale-leasebacks, and brokerage and ancillary agreements in connection with a wide range of retail, office, and industrial properties across the country. In negotiating lease terms, we take a practical approach, striking a balance between achieving our clients' business goals and avoiding a protracted, costly negotiation process.
- Represented a lender in an $89 million first mortgage loan, the proceeds of which were used to payoff an existing bridge loan and to provide funds for significant tenant improvements for an internationally known shared-office provider. The loan was secured by a first mortgage lien against the 85,000 sf building located in the Union Square section of Manhattan. As part of our due diligence, we also reviewed and negotiated multiple aspects of the incoming tenant’s lease with the landlord, as well as drafted the necessary subordination, non-disturbance and attornment document.
- Represented a federally chartered bank in the management of its domestic commercial real estate operations, including the negotiation of branch office leases throughout the United States, including the negotiation of lease documents, tenant work letters, brokerage agreements, lease surrender agreements, option agreements, estoppel letters, and ancillary documentation.
- Represented a prominent academic institution in its 18 year, 55,000-square-foot lease at 333 Seventh Avenue in Manhattan, a deal that the March 19, 2014 Commercial Observer named the "Lease of the Week."
- Represented a luxury retail brand in the negotiation of new and renewal leases nationwide.
- Represented a prominent pharmaceuticals company in the real estate aspects of the acquisition of a 173,000 square foot immunotherapy manufacturing facility in New Jersey. Working with the client's worldwide oncology group based in Europe and its facilities management group in the U.S., we handled fast-track negotiations to obtain landlord consent to the assignment of the lease, and negotiated key amendments to the lease to permit the use of the facility to support clinical and commercial production of potential new products and personalized cell therapies. In addition, we counseled on ISRA compliance and environmental matters.
- Represented a critical care immunotherapy company as the tenant in its lease of 48,000sf of life science and office space in the Greater Princeton locale of Plainsboro, NJ. The client intends to eventually consolidate its operations under its new roof, including R&D, new product launches and assembly, as well as administration. The principal technology developed by the client has been granted emergency use authorization by the Food & Drug Administration for the treatment of COVID-19.
- Represented a major domestic corporation in the sale and leaseback of a 200 acre parcel of land with the client as the seller/tenant and the Empire State Development Corporation as the purchaser/landlord. Since that initial closing, the Firm has continued to represent the client in the ongoing development of the parcel, focusing on matters of zoning, land use subdivision, development rights, and environmental matters.
- Represented the domestic subsidiary of a global soda and confectionery conglomerate in a build-to-suit lease for a $50 million science and technology center.
- Represented a prominent automotive manufacturer in its lease of 629-641 West 54th Street (Manhattan), which included a simultaneously negotiated lease extension at another Manhattan property controlled by the client to provide an alternative in the event that the lease for the new site was delayed, as well as advice on zoning and environmental matters.
- On an ongoing basis, representing Battery Park City Authority as landlord of approximately 35 ground leases in Manhattan, in completed and proposed ground lease amendments and regarding a broad range of near-term and strategic issues.
- Represented a state sports authority in all aspects of a multi-billion dollar redevelopment of an internationally recognized multi-venue sports complex containing new entertainment/retail, office, hotel, sports stadiums, and public rail access.
- Represented numerous and varied owner-operators and tenants of office, warehouse and retail properties in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania in connection with the preparation and negotiation of leases, subleases, brokerage agreements, tenant work letters, and ancillary agreements.
- Represented one of New York City's largest private commercial landlords in connection with the preparation of its national forms of retail and office leases.
- Represented several foreign banking institutions in the negotiation of leases for their New York headquarters in major midtown Manhattan office buildings.
- Represented a major New Jersey developer in the acquisition and financing of a 500,000 square foot office tower condominium project and related parking facility in Newark, New Jersey.
- Represented a major New Jersey real estate developer in the acquisition, construction and leasing of a 210,000 square foot build-to-suit headquarters to a Japanese pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a major New Jersey real estate developer in the negotiation of a 103,000 square foot lease to a major law firm.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in connection with the complex leasing and development of a build-to-suit facility in New York City.
- Represented a financial institution in negotiating and documenting a 140,000 square foot lease that will serve as the client's Cincinnati, OH headquarters, including naming rights on the building, rights to expand, right to contract, and renewal options, among other considerations.
- Represented an international bank in its 12,800 sf lease for redundant support services in Woodland, NJ.
- Represented a closely held real estate company in connection with the preparation and negotiation of several net lease transactions involving the development of national retailing facilities.
- Represented a bank in the negotiation and documentation of ground leases nationally in connection with construction of de novo retail branches.
- Represented a heavy equipment/construction industry company in the negotiation of a lease for a 12,000sf warehouse/showroom building in Hartford, CT, and a similar premises in Danbury, CT.
- Represented a luxury fashion and lifestyle brand in the negotiation of a full building lease involving more than 255,000 square feet for the relocation of the brand's headquarters to Nutley, NJ.
- Represented a prominent restaurant developer in leasing transactions for a number of prominent Manhattan restaurants.
Tony Coscia Named Among the ROI-NJ 2022 Real Estate Influencers - Dec 6, 2022
Windels Marx Named to the 2023 Roster of U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" - Nov 3, 2022
For 2022, Super Lawyers Recognizes 12 Lawyers in New York Metro Edition and 2 Rising Stars - Oct 11, 2022
Best Lawyers in America 2023 Recognizes 25 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 18, 2022
NAIOP-NJ Recognizes Tony Coscia with Industry Service Award - Jul 5, 2022
Real Estate NJ Features DEVCO, Quotes Tony Coscia on Their Unique Success - Dec 20, 2021
ROI-NJ Announces Annual Roster of Real Estate Influencers, Coscia Named - Dec 2, 2021
Jodi L. Sokol Joins as Special Counsel - Nov 8, 2021
NJBIZ Announces 2021 Commercial RE Power 50, Coscia in Top Position - Nov 8, 2021
Karl Frederic Reps Critical Care Immunotherapy Company in Life Science and Office Lease - Mar 31, 2021
Tony Coscia Named to NJBIZ Commercial Real Estate Power 50, 2020 Edition - Nov 9, 2020
12,800 sf Office Lease Closes in Woodbridge, NJ - Sep 25, 2020
The Real Deal Names Real Estate Practice #6 in New York - Oct 1, 2018
Angela Crowder Joins Windels Marx as Special Counsel - Aug 17, 2018
Real Estate NJ Spotlights Leading Law Firms in New Jersey - Apr 30, 2018
Hoffmann-La Roche Campus Reimagined as Hackensack-Seton Hall School of Medicine and Research Facility, Garners NAIOP Deal of the Year Praise - Jul 17, 2017
Karl Piirimae, Dan Pocchiari and Ed Nolan Represent Major Automobile Company in Manhattan Lease - Oct 1, 2012
Jack Conboy Moderates Bisnow Panel at National Finance Summit - Sep 22, 2022
Jack Conboy Joins Bisnow for a Lightning Round Keynote at the NYC 2022 Outlook & Multifamily Challenges Event - Feb 1, 2022
Jack Conboy Moderates Panel at Bisnow’s National Real Estate Finance Summit - Oct 5, 2021
Tom Rohan Joins PLI on February 25th to Discuss Lease Negotiations - Feb 25, 2021