Jay Samuels focuses on financing transactions, loan workouts, and bankruptcy. In addition to financial transactions, Mr. Samuels represents clients in real estate and leasing transactions, including representation of a national financial institution in its operational leasing and real estate matters, and in business sale, purchase and general contract transactions.
Recent matters handled by Mr. Samuels have included:
- representing the tenant/assignor in the assignment of a lease for multiple floors in a premier Manhattan office building, including negotiation of consents and other agreements with the landlord;
- representing a non-profit group which owns and operates low income housing in the sale of certain bond-financed apartment complexes;
- representing the secured creditor in connection with the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of, and 363 sale by, a floor cleaning equipment manufacturer; and
- representing a mortgage lender in a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure Agreement from a developer of multiple urban sites.
Mr. Samuels has lectured and written on financing issues for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Robert Morris Association. He was a Trustee of the Banking Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association for over 15 years, as well as serving as Chair of the Financial Transactions Committee, the Membership Committee and the Program Committee of the Section.
Mr. Samuels represented the prevailing party in the case of New Brunswick Savings Bank v. Markowski, 123 N.J. 402 (1991), the seminal decision of the New Jersey Supreme Court on the existence of constitutional due process rights of judgment holders.
- Nominated to The Best Lawyers in America in the category of Banking and Finance Law (2019-2020).
- Financial Transactions
- Corporate & Securities
- Corporate Finance & Syndicated Lending
- Corporate Formation & Finance
- Public Finance & Not-for-Profit
- Real Estate
- Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights
- Bankruptcy-Related Litigation & Transactions
- Representation of Secured & Unsecured Creditors
- Workouts & Restructurings
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- M.B.A., with honors, Rutgers University, 2000
- J.D., University at Buffalo Law School, 1978
- B.A., cum laude, University of Vermont, 1975
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit