Jay Samuels focuses on financing transactions, loan workouts, and bankruptcy. In addition to financial transactions, Mr. Samuels represents clients in real estate and leasing transactions, as well as in business sale, purchase and general contract transactions.
Mr. Samuels has represented multiple commercial lenders throughout New Jersey with respect to conventional C & I loans and real estate loans, as well as representing a SBA 7(a) lender with respect to its New Jersey lending.
Mr. Samuels has lectured and written on financing issues for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Robert Morris Association. He was a Trustee of the Banking Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association for over 15 years, as well as serving as Chair of the Financial Transactions Committee, the Membership Committee and the Program Committee of the Section.
Mr. Samuels represented the prevailing party in the case of New Brunswick Savings Bank v. Markowski, 123 N.J. 402 (1991), the seminal decision of the New Jersey Supreme Court on the existence of constitutional due process rights of judgment holders.
- Nominated to The Best Lawyers in America in the category of Banking and Finance Law (2019-2023), as well as Public Finance Law (2021-2022).
- Best Lawyers in America 2023 Recognizes 25 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 18, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Recognizes 14 Lawyers, 2 Named "Lawyer of the Year" - Aug 15, 2018
- Financial Transactions
- Corporate & Securities
- Corporate Finance & Syndicated Lending
- Corporate Formation & Finance
- Public Finance & Not-for-Profit
- Real Estate
- Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights
- Bankruptcy-Related Litigation & Transactions
- Representation of Secured & Unsecured Creditors
- Workouts & Restructurings
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- M.B.A., with honors, Rutgers University, 2000
- J.D., University at Buffalo Law School, 1978
- B.A., cum laude, University of Vermont, 1975
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit