Charles B. Liebling concentrates on redevelopment and redevelopment financing, land use law, and general real estate transactions. Mr. Liebling represents both for-profit and non-profit developers as well as governmental entities.
Redevelopment and Land Use
As part of his redevelopment practice, Mr. Liebling is involved in the establishment of public-private partnerships and the utilization of governmental incentive programs. He focuses on the negotiation of complex redevelopment agreements and development of financing structures, including through the use of tax abatements, tax increment financing, and tax credits. In his land use practice, Mr. Liebling represents applicants in connection with a wide variety of multi-family residential, commercial, and institutional projects before boards and commissions at the local, county, and state level.
Speaking and Publishing
In addition to having served as counsel on a broad range of high-profile redevelopment projects, Mr. Liebling has spoken on redevelopment issues in many professional, trade and academic forums, including:
- Appraisal Institute - Metro New Jersey Chapter,
- Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University (guest lecturer on land use law),
- Central Jersey Builders Association,
- Council of Development Finance Agencies,
- Governor's Conference on Housing and Economic Development,
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) - New Jersey Chapter,
- Newark Regional Business Partnership,
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education and New Jersey Future (multiple redevelopment seminars), and
- New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys.
- "Redevelopment Rolls Ahead," NJBIZ 2016 Industry Perspectives (January 2016)
- Governor Takes Action on Two Critical Bills - Economic Opportunity Act of 2014 (Part 3) Conditional Veto (CV) - Redevelopment Legal Update (September 2014)
- "Bullish on New Jersey," Northeast Real Estate Business (March/April 2014)
- "Tax Incentives Overhaul Legislation: New Jersey Economic Opportunity Act of 2013", Redevelopment Regulatory Update (September 2013).
Mr. Liebling also served as a consulting attorney to the authors of The Redevelopment Handbook: A Guide to Rebuilding New Jersey's Communities (NJDCA/NJAPA, 2003 and 2011). While attending Rutgers University School of Law, Mr. Liebling was an editor of the Rutgers Law Review.
Professional Accomplishments of Note
- Nominated to NJBIZ Vanguard Series: 2018 Leaders in Commercial Real Estate.
- Nominated to The Best Lawyers in America in the categories of Real Estate and Land Use & Zoning Law (2017-2024). In 2021 and 2024, he was named "Lawyer of the Year" in the category of Land Use & Zoning Law.
- Member of the Public Incentives Committee of the Smart Growth Economic Development Coalition.
- Member of the Legislative Committee of the New Jersey Chapter of NAIOP (including as Co-Chair).
- Member of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association.
- For 10 years, served on the Highland Park Zoning Board of Adjustment, including as Chairman.
He speaks fluent Italian.
- Best Lawyers in America 2023 Recognizes 25 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 18, 2022
- Karl Frederic and Team Complete Sale of Pharma Campus Parcel Slated for Redevelopment in East Hanover, NJ - Dec 27, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
- $54.550 Million Bond Financing Closes for Second Phase of Stockton University Atlantic City Campus - May 25, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
- NJBIZ Announces Vanguards in Commercial Real Estate - Deyhle, Liebling, McNamara Nominated - Nov 29, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Recognizes 14 Lawyers, 2 Named "Lawyer of the Year" - Aug 15, 2018
- Real Estate NJ Spotlights Leading Law Firms in New Jersey - Apr 30, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names 11 from Windels Marx - Aug 15, 2017
- Hoffmann-La Roche Campus Reimagined as Hackensack-Seton Hall School of Medicine and Research Facility, Garners NAIOP Deal of the Year Praise - Jul 17, 2017
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 8 Lawyers, Majority from NJ Offices - Aug 15, 2016
- Deal Announcement - Tony Coscia, Chuck Liebling and Team Close $300 Million Financing of Rutgers University Redevelopment Project - Sep 19, 2013
- Acquisition of Newark's Hahnes Department Store is Completed - May 13, 2013
- Charles Liebling Consults on 2d ed. of "The Redevelopment Handbook: A Guide to Rebuilding New Jersey's Communities" - Dec 30, 2011
- Chuck Liebling Joins Appraisal Institute on April 22nd - Apr 22, 2016
- Charles Liebling to Speak at ICLE 2012 Redevelopment Institute - Jan 27, 2012
- Analysis of The New Jersey Economic Recovery Act of 2020 - Aug 21, 2023
- Opportunity Zones - Investments in Qualified Opportunity Funds: Like-Kind Exchanges 2.0? - Oct 2, 2018
- Chuck Liebling Assesses 2016 in "Redevelopment Rolls Ahead" for NJBiz - Feb 12, 2016
- NJ Governor Signs Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 27, 2014
- NJ Legislature Concurs with Conditional Veto of Economic Opportunity Act 2014 - Oct 16, 2014
- NJ Governor Takes Action on Two Critical Bills - Sep 12, 2014
- EDA Approves Proposed Regulations for Grow NJ and Res-ERG Programs and will Accept Online Applications Starting November 18, 2013 - Nov 15, 2013
- Tony Coscia, Charles Liebling and Julie Tattoni Provide Regulatory Update on "Tax Incentives Overhaul Legislation: New Jersey Economic Opportunity Act of 2013" - Sep 17, 2013
- NJEDA Has Begun Its Competitive Solicitation Process for the Residential Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Program - Oct 26, 2012
- Urban Transit Hub Amendments Summarized by Tony Coscia and Charles Liebling - Aug 5, 2011
- Real Estate
- Development & Land Use
- Infrastructure Development & Finance
- Financial Transactions
- Public Finance & Not-for-Profit
- COVID-19 Response & Resources
- J.D., with high honors, Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, 1995
- M.C.R.P., Rutgers University, 1995
- B.A., Brown University, 1980
- New Jersey
- New York