Mitch has more than 30 years of experience in a broad range of commercial real estate matters, representing commercial owners, developers, landlords and tenants, religious institutions, banks, insurance companies and other corporate and financial institutions, as well as owners and operators of all types of real property, including office, retail, industrial and warehouse, shopping center and multi-family residential properties.
He concentrates on:
- commercial leasing
- mortgage financing
- acquisitions and dispositions
- development rights transfers
- real estate workouts and restructurings and
- real estate litigation, including mortgage foreclosures and negotiation of deeds in lieu of foreclosure.
Before joining Windels Marx, Mr. Gilbert served as Associate Counsel for the New York State Mortgage Loan Enforcement and Administration Corporation (1980-81), a subsidiary of the New York State Urban Development Corporation, now known as the Empire State Development Corporation. Prior to entering law school, Mr. Gilbert was an urban planner with the Nassau County Planning Commission.
Representative Matters of Note
- Represented a prominent academic institution in its 18 year, 55,000-square-foot lease at 333 Seventh Avenue in Manhattan, a deal that the March 19, 2014 Commercial Observer named the "Lease of the Week."
- Represented the owner of a large development site, adjacent to the High Line park, in a sale to the developer/owner of the Standard Hotel.
Mr. Gilbert has received an "AV" Preeminent rating (the highest rating available) from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
- Mr. Gilbert has been a member of both the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association for more than 30 years.
- He is currently a member of the Committee on Commercial Leasing and of the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association, as well as the Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Mitch Gilbert Quoted in New York Times "Ask Real Estate" Column - Jul 29, 2014
- FIT Deal Named Lease of the Week - Mar 20, 2014
- Real Estate Sale Involving Windels Marx Team Wins Award as 2nd 'Most Ingenious Deal of the Year' - Jun 25, 2013
- Mitch Gilbert, David Glanz and Team Complete Phase One of $200+ Million Sale of Trophy Multifamily Building in Tribeca - Oct 6, 2011
- Mitch Gilbert Quoted in AM New York on Benefits of New York's High Line - Sep 28, 2011
- Real Estate Team, Led by Mitch Gilbert, Counsels on 88 Leonard Sale - Jun 28, 2011
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance
- Acquisitions & Sales
- Real Estate Litigation
- Workouts & Restructurings
- Infrastructure Development & Finance
- Public Finance & Not-for-Profit
- COVID-19 Resources
- J.D., Hofstra Law School, 1975
- Double B.A., Economics/Political Science, Stony Brook University, 1971
- New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York