Rod concentrates his practice in:
- commercial litigation;
- banking matters, including asset recovery;
- real estate litigation;
- employment litigation;
- insurance coverage disputes;
- oppressed and deadlocked shareholder litigation;
- tax appeals; and
- trademark infringement.
Mr. Honecker regularly appears before state and federal courts in trials, administrative proceedings, arbitrations, mediations, and on motions and appeals.
Clients represented include banks, insurance companies, retail chains, franchisors, real estate developers, information technology companies, manufacturers, and energy companies, among other institutional clients, as well as entrepreneurs and individuals.
Matters of Note
- Obtained dozens of money and foreclosure judgments, plus injunctive relief, against various borrowers operating in a wide variety of businesses, many resulting in full recoveries for our lender clients, including interest and reimbursement of attorneys' fees.
- Obtained no cause jury verdict dismissing a wrongful termination claim against a publicly traded energy company; believed to be the only common law wrongful termination claim tried to a verdict in Federal Court in the District of New Jersey.
- Obtained a no cause verdict in a 6-day bench trial. Our client was the manufacturer of a product containing linseed oil. The linseed oil caused some product applicators to smolder or even spontaneously combust. There was no warning on the product label. Obtained dismissal of products liability claims prior to trial based upon the economic loss doctrine. The trial judge then found that our manufacturer client was not responsible for the faulty product label, and rejected the plaintiff’s remaining express and implied warranty claims.
- Prevailed on preliminary motion to dismiss complaint advancing trademark infringement (Lanham Act) claim and state law claims; trademark infringement claim was dismissed with prejudice.
- Obtained summary judgment for a software provider against former employee claiming disability discrimination.
- Obtained summary judgment for a pharmaceutical company dismissing a former employee's sexual harassment claim as being filed beyond limitations period.
- Defended a packaging and corrugated box company in a collection action by a former vendor; the related bench trial resulted in a no cause verdict.
- Represented a nationwide franchisor in obtaining summary judgment for money damages and compelling a franchisee to disidentify his store.
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal of a beneficiary’s claim under a life insurance policy based upon material misrepresentations in the application.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claim for life insurance proceeds based upon the policy lapsing, and not being reinstated, prior to the death of the insured.
- "Beware Worker Harassment Claims For Nonemployee Conduct" - Law360 - March 5, 2019
- “NJ High Court: Lenders Could Lose Their Mortgage Priority.,” Law360 - June 20, 2016
- "New Department of Labor Proposal for Overtime," Windels Marx - Employment & Employee Benefits Legal Update, August 3, 2015.
- "Litigation Between Owners of a Small Business," MODC Matters Newsletter, July 2013.
- "A Rarely Used Weapon for Employers: The Computer Related Offenses Act," New Jersey Law Journal, August 30, 2010.
- "Malpractice Insurance: Disclose it or Lose It," New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, May 23, 2007.
- "Insurance Coverage and the Attorney Fee-Shifting Provision of New Jersey's LAD," New Jersey State Bar Association, Insurance Law Section Newsletter, September 2005.
- "First-Party Insurance Bad Faith Claims in New Jersey," New Jersey State Bar Association, Insurance Law Section Newsletter, March 2005.
- "Prejudgment Attachment in New Jersey," New Jersey State Bar Association, Banking Law Section Newsletter, February 1998.
- NJ Worker Classification Tees Up Tax Battle – Law 360, July 12, 2019.
- 3rd Circ. Affirms Energy Co.’s Worker Retaliation Win – Law 360, April 4, 2018.
- January 23, 2018 - The Knowledge Group presents "Recovering Assets in Commercial Litigation" (webinar).
- October 28, 2015 - Monmouth-Ocean Development Council presentation on "Hiring Practices."
Mr. Honecker has received an "AV" rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
Mr. Honecker is a past chair of the Insurance Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association (2005-2006). He has litigated multiple cases pro bono on assignment from various courts and Central Jersey Legal Services.
- Rod Honecker Discusses Worker Classification in NJ, via Law360 - Jul 15, 2019
- Rod Honecker, Bill Cagney Represent Energy Company in Wrongful Termination Suit - Apr 4, 2018
- Rod Honecker, Doug Stevinson for Law360: "NJ High Court: Lenders Could Lose Their Mortgage Priority" - Jul 29, 2016
- Windels Marx Promotes Three to Partner: John Bitar, Rod Honecker, Delton Vandever - Jun 12, 2014
- Rod Honecker Wins by Summary Judgment in an Employment Matter Before the U.S. District Court, District of NJ - May 6, 2014
- Rod Honecker Wins On Behalf of Lender Related to Bankruptcy Decision - Jan 24, 2012
- Rod Honecker, Scott Matthews Dissect New Workplace Risks for Law360 - Mar 5, 2019
- New Department of Labor Proposal for Overtime - Aug 3, 2015
- Rod Honecker Pens Small Business Litigation Article for Monmouth-Ocean Development Council (MODC) - Jul 10, 2013
- Rod Honecker writes "A Rarely Used Weapon for Employers: the Computer Related Offenses Act" for the NJ Law Journal - Aug 30, 2010
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate Litigation
- Workouts & Restructurings
- Employment Litigation
- Employment & Employee Benefits
- COVID-19 Resources
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law - Newark, 1993
- B.A., Rutgers College, 1985
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit