Financial Services Litigation
We represent financial institutions, and the lending industry generally, in a wide range of both routine and complex disputes. We're often called upon to serve as lead counsel in high profile lawsuits involving multiple parties and law firms, and to act as special counsel or trial counsel for other firms.
- Represented a global financial institution in two international arbitrations and a related litigation in the Cayman Islands. The arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association's International Centre for Dispute Resolution were adverse to a large multi-billion dollar international hedge fund and involved hundreds of millions of dollars in claims. Our team tried one of the proceedings to completion and obtained an award granting the client 100% of the recovery sought and dismissing counterclaims in excess of $100 million.
- Represented various financial institutions in lawsuits arising out of large commercial loans, including representing one of the nation's largest financial institutions, as agent for a consortium of institutions, in a complex, politically sensitive, and media intensive commercial real estate financing worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Related experience includes litigation matters concerning financing on a Montana ski resort in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and comparable financing of hotels.
- Represented a bank group regarding their rights as secured creditors and bondholders of a failed development project resulting in the dismissal of the bankruptcy case which permitted the banks to prosecute their claims to project bond funds in excess of $40 million.
- Successfully defended a myriad of institutional lenders in conjunction with multi-million dollar lender liability claims.
- Secured an award of summary judgment in favor of a large institutional lender adjudicating the lender's right to lien priority and declaration of its right to payment in a $400 million construction project.
- Successfully defended a New Jersey-based financial institution in a class action suit against claims of real estate escrow accounting irregularities (the action was ultimately dismissed).
- Successfully represented an investment bank in an international arbitration involving a $200 million dispute implicating complex issues of Japanese and U.S. laws and arising out of the sale of a major commercial development site in Tokyo.
- Represented a hedge fund in connection with the workout or, when necessary, foreclosure of its substantial debt positions.
- On an ongoing basis, representing the SIPA Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and the Chapter 7 Trustee of Bernard L. Madoff, including litigation arising from same.
- Represented the Chapter 11 Trustee of MarketXT Holdings Corp., a former electronic brokerage company, in the prosecution of fraudulent conveyance claims and in other litigations resulting in the recovery of more than $75 million in assets for distribution to creditors.
- Represented an officer of a major U.S. bank in a series of regulatory investigations arising out of the bank's derivatives business.