John B. Bitar has substantial experience in the area of public finance representing issuers, underwriters, and borrowers in taxable and tax-exempt bond financings. He represents banks issuing letters of credit in support of such bonds. Additionally, he has represented banks and business entities in public and private offerings, securities compliance and regulatory matters, and mergers and acquisitions.
Representations of Note
- Represented Hackensack Meridian Health, Inc. in its offering of $1 billion Hackensack Meridian Health Taxable Bonds, Series 2020.
- Among the team that represented South Jersey-based Colonial Financial Services, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Cape Bancorp, Inc. for approximately $55 million.
- Among the team that represented ConnectOne Bancorp, Inc. in its $243 million merger with Center Bancorp, Inc. to form the fourth largest bank headquartered in New Jersey;
- Among the team that served as counsel to a nationally-recognized bank in their multi-faceted financing role for Teachers Village (Newark, NJ), a complex, qualified school construction bonds and new markets tax credit transaction, including representing the bank as bond purchaser, bridge lender, escrow agent and administrative agent.
- Represented Hilltop Community Bancorp, Inc., parent company of Hilltop Community Bank, in the execution of a Merger Agreement that provides for its acquisition by Haven Bancorp, Inc., parent company of Haven Savings Bank, for approximately $27 million.
- Represented a nationally recognized bank in the purchase of a $100 million revenue bond issued by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA). The deal involved the refunding of certain of the NJTA's outstanding bonds.
- Represented Team Capital Bank, a New Jersey and Pennsylvania institution, in connection with its acquisition by Jersey City-based Provident Financial Services for $122 million in cash and stock.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Bitar was an analyst and account executive for a broker-dealer specializing in the investment and trading of the securities of distressed companies.
- The Best Lawyers in America - Nominated for Banking & Finance Law (2018-2021), Corporate Law (2021) and Public Finance Law (2021).
- Public Finance Team Closes $1 Billion Bond Deal in Healthcare Industry - Sep 2, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Recognizes 14 Lawyers, 2 Named "Lawyer of the Year" - Aug 15, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names 11 from Windels Marx - Aug 15, 2017
- Windels Marx Closes OceanFirst Bank Merger Agreement - Mar 13, 2015
- Bob Schwartz, Greg Krauss and John Bitar Represent Colonial Financial Services in $55 Million Acquisition by Cape Bancorp - Sep 11, 2014
- Windels Marx Promotes Three to Partner: John Bitar, Rod Honecker, Delton Vandever - Jun 12, 2014
- Bob Schwartz, Andrew Craig and Team Represent ConnectOne in $243 Million Merger of New Jersey Banks - Jan 23, 2014
- Deal Announcement - Tony Coscia, Chuck Liebling and Team Close $300 Million Financing of Rutgers University Redevelopment Project - Sep 19, 2013
- John Bitar and Gary Walsh Represent Prominent Bank in Purchase of $100 Million NJTA Revenue Bond - Jun 14, 2013
- Bob Schwartz and John Bitar Represent New Jersey Bank in Merger and $27 Million Acquisition - Jun 7, 2013
- Bob Schwartz, John Bitar, Greg Krauss Counsel Bank's Switch to New Jersey State Charter - Feb 11, 2013
- Teachers Village Breaks Ground and Windels Marx is Counsel to Prominent Lender - Apr 30, 2012
- Gary Walsh, Maryann Kicenuik and Team Close a $100.6 Million Restructuring Financing - Aug 15, 2011