Stefano V. Calogero has litigated and tried coverage disputes between policyholders and insurers for over twenty years and around the country, including over 40 cases tried to a jury verdict. Underlying claims involved in these matters have included environmental waste sites, asbestos, tobacco, silica, breast implants, and hearing loss. He presently serves as regional counsel for environmental and other toxic tort coverage matters for a major insurer.
In significant matters Mr. Calogero has:
- represented, on an ongoing basis, various insurance carriers in defense of claims pertaining to injuries sustained by professional athletes;
- litigated coverage issue for claims arising out of defective products by national manufacturers of roofing shingles, faucets, and polybutene pipes;
- represented insurers in coverage claims relating to construction defect claims arising out of New Jersey condo units resulting in settlements of dozens of defendants;
- won summary judgment on coverage claims arising from paint fumes in commercial buildings leading to early settlements;
- obtained summary judgment for an insurer regarding the application of the policy's pollution exclusion for a former manufacturing facility in Massachusetts involving over 30 years of waste disposal, including nuclear waste;
- won a non-jury verdict in one of the first environmental coverage trials in New Jersey involving contamination at a former Agent Orange facility along the Passaic River;
- represented insurers of asbestos claims in the context of major corporation bankruptcies resolving over $100 million in policy limits and Bankruptcy Code 524(g) protection for insurers;
- obtained a trial verdict for an insurer in a waste site claim against a major chemical company involving costs at the waste site in excess of $30 million;
- argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court on the right to jury trial in context of declaratory judgment actions involving coverage disputes;
- obtained summary judgment for an insurer on workers' liability policies where the insured sought coverage for toxic workplace exposures; and
- litigated bad faith claims brought by policyholders in various states, including Texas, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and New York.
From 1981 to 1987, Mr. Calogero worked as an Assistant District Attorney in Bronx County, New York where he was a member of the Major Offense Bureau and Homicide Grand Jury.
- "Supreme Court Opinion in Cypress Point Condominium Association" - Insurance Litigation Legal Update, Windels Marx (August 2016)
- Mr. Calogero was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Insurance Law and Litigation - Insurance (2006 through 2023).
- From 2015 to 2020, he was recognized for Insurance Coverage and Business Litigation by Super Lawyers - New Jersey.
- In July 2012, The Star-Ledger published in conjunction with Law.com (an ALM publication) and Martindale-Hubbell an annual list of New Jersey's "Top Rated Lawyers," in which Mr. Calogero was featured in the category of Commercial Litigation.
- Best Lawyers in America 2023 Recognizes 25 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 18, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 4 Lawyers for 2020 - Mar 13, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2020 Recognizes 16 Windels Marx Lawyers - Aug 15, 2019
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 4 Lawyers - Mar 12, 2019
- Successful Defeat of General Motors Trust's Claims for Insurance Coverage In Delaware Supreme Court - Sep 4, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Recognizes 14 Lawyers, 2 Named "Lawyer of the Year" - Aug 15, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names 11 from Windels Marx - Aug 15, 2017
- Steve Calogero, Tanya Mascarich Asbestos Case Reported by Law360 - Jun 19, 2017
- Super Lawyers New Jersey Nominates 6 Lawyers from Madison, New Brunswick - Mar 14, 2017
- Steve Calogero, Tanya Mascarich Represent Insurance Company in Asbestos Related Case - Dec 14, 2016
- Super Lawyers New Jersey 2016 Roster Announced - Sep 21, 2016
- Best Lawyers 2017 Recognizes 8 Lawyers, Majority from NJ Offices - Aug 15, 2016
- Best Lawyers 2016 - Nov 13, 2015
- Super Lawyers New Jersey Nominates 6 Lawyers from Windels Marx - Mar 13, 2015
- Best Lawyers 2015 Includes Four Windels Marx Attorneys - Aug 20, 2014
- Windels Marx Opens New Office in Madison, New Jersey - Jan 3, 2011
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Environmental & Toxic Tort
- Environmental Law
- COVID-19 Response & Resources
- J.D., cum laude, New York Law School, 1980
- B.A., cum laude, Montclair State University, 1976
- New Jersey
- New York