Tony's practice focuses on commercial cases involving general contract and business disputes, as well as bankruptcy cases representing the trustee for the debtor. In addition, he has extensive experience providing counsel on complex coverage and regulatory cases for insurance companies both at the trial and appellate levels. In recent years, his practice has focused on state and federal cases involving private litigants or government entities embroiled in land use and other disputes, both on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants.
Representations of Note
- Currently serving on the team that counsels the Trustee for the SIPA liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Securities LLC.
- Currently representing a prominent state university facing local government opposition to the university’s plans to extend an internal driveway and add an egress onto a county road.
- Overturned a trial court decision on appeal that had cast doubt on the validity and enforceability of an exclusion in a client insurer's automobile insurance policy form.
- Represented the trustee of a major patent law firm that dissolved in 2009.
- Contributed to the Transportation team that successfully represented elected officials as litigation counsel and in settlement negotiations with the NY Metropolitan Transportation Authority and NYC Transit Authority concerning civil rights claims arising from budget-related reductions in NYC mass transit bus service.
- Helped settle a tax dispute for an insurance company which resulted in a substantial credit for the company's use in future years.
He has also worked on several administrative cases involving the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance, the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, the New Jersey Division of Taxation and the New York State Division of Human Rights.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Casas worked at the New York City Legal Aid Society - Criminal Appeals Bureau and briefed and argued numerous felony criminal appeals. Since going into private practice, he has handled a variety of complex criminal and civil cases at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts. He previously served as Public Defender for the Municipal Court of the Borough of Peapack-Gladstone for ten years and remains involved in criminal law.
Speaking Engagements & Memberships
Mr. Casas has been a speaker on numerous panels sponsored by the Insurance Council of New Jersey, and has also given in-house presentations on insurance statutory and case law developments. He is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
- Court Approves $62 Million Recovery Agreement Between Madoff Trustee, Blumenfeld - Dec 5, 2014
- Law 360 Article Covers Lawsuits Filed by Windels Marx as Special Counsel to Madoff Trustee - May 31, 2012
- Tony Casas Featured in NJLJ's "New Partners Yearbook 2012" - Mar 8, 2012
- Transportation Team, Led by Matt Daus, Secures Victory for Brooklyn Seniors and the Disabled - Jul 1, 2011
- Windels Marx Promotes Three to Partner: Tony Casas, Wayne Cook, Jr., and Scott Matthews - May 10, 2011
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights
- Bankruptcy-Related Litigation & Transactions
- Representation of Trustees
- COVID-19 Resources
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1992
- B.A., economics, summa cum laude, Providence College, 1989
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York