Eric has nearly 20 years of experience representing insurers in first and third-party insurance coverage litigation.
He has represented insurers in state and federal courts throughout the country in complex coverage disputes involving environmental pollution under the New Jersey Spill Compensation and Control Act and Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 ("CERCLA"); asbestos, silica, and coal dust claims; toxic tort; and other significant claims. He has represented insurers in substantial cases involving Underground Storage Tanks, dozens of Superfund sites and other hazardous waste sites; and tens of thousands of underlying toxic tort claims. He has also represented insurers and administrators of life, health, and disability products in both ERISA and non-ERISA matters in state and federal courts.
He has also successfully defended various individuals and businesses in litigation involving construction defects, products liability and commercial transactions.
Representative Matters of Note
- Represented, on an ongoing basis, a number of insurance carriers in the defense of property damage claims as a result of catastrophic weather and other circumstances, including Hurricane Sandy.
- Successfully resolved an insurance company's alleged liability for the cleanup of hazardous waste resulting from a leaking underground storage tank.
- Successfully resolved an insurance company's alleged multi-million dollar liability to its insured for asbestos claims through a combination of litigation and mediation efforts in complex litigation involving competing policyholders, dozens of insurers and decades of underlying liabilities and insurance coverage issues.
- Represented insurer in litigation regarding insurance coverage for the remediation of soil and groundwater contamination arising from the discharge of hazardous waste and chemicals at various sites across the United States.
- Successfully represented an insurance company with respect to potential coverage for property damage caused by defective roofing shingles manufactured by the insured.
- Represented an insurer in insurance coverage litigation arising from asbestos, silica and coal dust related liabilities.
- The Best Lawyers in America - Recognized for Insurance Law (2021-2022)
- Selected as a top lawyer for Insurance Coverage by New Jersey Super Lawyers (2011-2020)
- New Jersey Bar Association
- United States Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Forks Township Planning Commission (appointed by the Forks Township Board of Supervisors)
Academic & Professional Accomplishments
- Law clerk to the Honorable Burton J. Ironson, J.S.C. and the Honorable Ross R. Anzaldi, J.S.C., Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Union County (New Jersey)
- Constitutional Law Journal (Articles Editor)
- Best Lawyers in America 2022 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch - Aug 19, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 Recognizes 22 Windels Marx Lawyers, 9 Ones to Watch, 4 Lawyers of the Year - Aug 20, 2020
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 4 Lawyers for 2020 - Mar 13, 2020
- New Jersey Edition of Super Lawyers Recognizes 4 Lawyers - Mar 12, 2019
- Super Lawyers New Jersey Nominates 6 Lawyers from Madison, New Brunswick - Mar 14, 2017
- Super Lawyers New Jersey 2016 Roster Announced - Sep 21, 2016
- Super Lawyers New Jersey Nominates 6 Lawyers from Windels Marx - Mar 13, 2015
- Associates Chat with Law360 on Habits of Effectiveness - Oct 9, 2014
- New Jersey Associates Featured in NJLJ "Class of 2011" - Nov 10, 2011
- Insurance Litigation
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Environmental Law
- Environmental & Toxic Tort
- J.D., Seton Hall Law School, 1995
- B.A., magna cum laude, Misericordia University, 1992
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Federal Claims