Charles B. Liebling
Charles B. Liebling concentrates on redevelopment and redevelopment financing, land use law, and general real estate transactions. Mr. Liebling represents both for-profit and non-profit developers as well as governmental entities.
Redevelopment and Land Use
As part of his redevelopment practice, Mr. Liebling is involved in the establishment of public-private partnerships and the utilization of governmental incentive programs. He focuses on the negotiation of complex redevelopment agreements and development of financing structures, including through the use of tax abatements, tax increment financing, and tax credits. In his land use practice, Mr. Liebling represents applicants in connection with a wide variety of multi-family residential, commercial, and institutional projects before boards and commissions at the local, county, and state level.
Speaking and Publishing
In addition to having served as counsel on a broad range of high-profile redevelopment projects, Mr. Liebling has spoken on redevelopment issues in many professional, trade and academic forums, including:
- Appraisal Institute - Metro New Jersey Chapter,
- Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University (guest lecturer on land use law),
- Central Jersey Builders Association,
- Council of Development Finance Agencies,
- Governor's Conference on Housing and Economic Development,
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) - New Jersey Chapter,
- Newark Regional Business Partnership,
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education and New Jersey Future (multiple redevelopment seminars), and
- New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys.
- "Redevelopment Rolls Ahead," NJBiz 2016 Industry Perspectives (January 2016)
- Governor Takes Action on Two Critical Bills - Economic Opportunity Act of 2014 (Part 3) Conditional Veto (CV) - Redevelopment Legal Update (September 2014)
- "Bullish on New Jersey," Northeast Real Estate Business (March/April 2014)
- "Tax Incentives Overhaul Legislation: New Jersey Economic Opportunity Act of 2013", Redevelopment Regulatory Update (September 2013).
Mr. Liebling also served as a consulting attorney to the authors of The Redevelopment Handbook: A Guide to Rebuilding New Jersey's Communities (NJDCA/NJAPA, 2003 and 2011). While attending Rutgers University School of Law, Mr. Liebling was an editor of the Rutgers Law Review.
Professional Accomplishments of Note
- Nominated to the Best Lawyers 2017 edition in the category of Land Use and Zoning Law.
- For 10 years, served on the Highland Park Zoning Board of Adjustment, including as Chairman.
- Served on the Legislative Committee of the New Jersey Chapter of NAIOP (including as Co-Chair).
- Member of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association.
He speaks fluent Italian.
CHARLES B. LIEBLING
CONTACT | DOWNLOAD VCARD
New Brunswick, NJ