Mark A. Slama
Mark A. Slama focuses on commercial, real estate, and banking litigation. Mr. Slama has experience in commercial and corporate disputes; banking matters, including lender liability defense and asset recovery; real estate litigation; contract disputes; and complex financial transactions, including fraud claims and fraudulent conveyances.
Significant matters handled by Mr. Slama have included a class action suit in which he successfully defended a New Jersey-based financial institution against claims of real estate escrow accounting irregularities. The action was ultimately dismissed.
He is a member of the Middlesex County (New Jersey) Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
While attending Syracuse University College of Law, Mr. Slama was awarded the Blake Kennedy Memorial Law Scholarship and was a member of the Syracuse Journal of International Law and the Moot Court Board.
Significant matters recently handled by Mr. Slama include:
- a class action suit in which he successfully defended a New Jersey-based financial institution against claims of real estate escrow accounting irregularities (the action was ultimately dismissed);
- an award of summary judgment in favor of a large institutional lender adjudicating the lender's right to lien priority and declaration of its right to payment in a $400 million construction project;
- obtaining a favorable decision by the Supreme Court, New York County, holding that its prior ruling invalidating a 100 year lease under the Rule Against Perpetuities Doctrine was in error and that the 60 year remainder in a valuable parcel on Lexington Avenue in Manhattan was a vested property interest that could not be divested as the Court had originally ruled;
- successfully represented a federal agency in conjunction with the sale, liquidation and recovery of assets in the New Jersey Bankruptcy Court involving a 277 unit apartment complex and obtained an eight figure recovery on its behalf;
- obtained a $50 million judgment against a prominent real estate developer in New York City, along with dismissal of various lender liability claims;
- obtained the re-opening of a bankruptcy case in the Northern District of New York and obtained an additional recovery on behalf of a secured creditor following an investigation of the debtor which revealed the debtor's sequestration of assets and misstatement of liabilities in a confirmed plan of reorganization;
- negotiated and obtained the agreement of a major title insurer to pay for the client's defense costs in conjunction with a failed construction project involving challenges to the lender's lien priority and negligence in administering project funds;
- represented a court-appointed receiver and fiduciary in its role as custodian for distressed real property and as receiver; and
- represented the owner of a large construction project and obtained a substantial recovery of funds to remediate design and construction errors by the project engineers and other contractors.
MARK A. SLAMA
CONTACT | DOWNLOAD VCARD
New Brunswick, NJ
New York, NY