Intellectual Property, Technology, & e-Commerce
In a business world increasingly driven by technology, a company's intellectual property (IP) is often its most valuable asset. In addition, many businesses rely on information technology, e-commerce, and the Internet to gain a competitive edge.
The attorneys in our Intellectual Property, Technology & e-Commerce Practice Group possess the technical knowledge, practical business experience, and creativity to advise clients in this important area of the law. We help clients develop, preserve, and commercialize their IP assets - and protect those assets against infringement, misappropriation, and unauthorized use.
We handle traditional matters involving trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, patents, and unfair competition. We also counsel clients on emerging legal issues related to e-commerce, the Internet, and social media. Our clients include traditional and Web publishers, advertisers, and media companies, as well as a variety of companies and individuals with businesses that depend on intellectual property assets, including fashion, fragrance, sports, and toy businesses.
Our services include:
- advising domestic and international clients on strategic use of their IP assets;
- assisting clients with trademark licensing and monitoring licensing arrangements;
- advising clients on the treatment of licenses and the assignment of marks in connection with forming, operating, financing, or selling a business;
- enforcing and defending trademark, trade dress, dilution, and unfair competition rights within the U.S. and internationally;
- monitoring copyright developments worldwide and counseling clients on copyright compliance;
- assisting clients with business transactions involving copyrightable materials;
- representing clients in litigation involving a broad range of copyrightable materials, including databases, books, films, magazines, musical recordings, photographs, commercial illustrations, software, business training materials, and jewelry;
- negotiating and preparing documents related to Web design, Web hosting and transaction service agreements, contracts with content providers, and software licensing agreements;
- advising clients on issues ranging from privacy concerns to the protection of valuable IP rights that may arise from their online business activities; and
- counseling technology startups and Internet ventures on a wide range of legal and business matters, including selecting an appropriate legal structure, analyzing financing options, preparing a business plan, and negotiating and documenting venture capital investment terms.
Our attorneys offer a rare combination of superior technical skills and creativity, enabling them to handle the complex issues presented by IP law and to tackle the novel legal issues raised by technological innovations.
Representative Matter of Note
- Successfully obtained an affirmance from the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal District of an order of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland dismissing the Complaint against our client, a Turkish telecommunications carrier, in an action claiming infringement of certain patents concerning international text and SMS messaging processes.
Attorneys in the Intellectual Property, Technology, & e-Commerce Practice Group work closely with colleagues in the Firm's other Practice groups, including Corporate & Securities and Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution, providing clients with comprehensive representation.