Tom has a diverse business counseling and transactional practice.
Tom regularly represents owners of private companies as outside general counsel and acts as trusted advisor to high net-worth individuals where he helps these clients identify, develop and implement strategic initiatives to accomplish their business and personal objectives. Tom’s customary experience ranges from being the primary outside legal resource in support of the operations and growth of these businesses to preparing businesses for sale transactions and the negotiation of same, advising on business succession planning and resolving partnership and shareholder disputes in advance of litigation.
Tom also represents other types of business entities including institutional clients in a wide array of matters from contract negotiations to transactions including, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic partnerships, and debt and equity financings. Tom’s legal experience extends to the representation of banks and other lenders in asset-based financings and special situation lending transactions; sponsors and investors in real estate investments nationwide; and owners and commercial tenants in real estate management, leasing and construction matters.
Representative Client Work
Below is a sample of work that Tom has handled on behalf of his clients during the past two years:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a freight-forwarder and cross-border ecommerce corporation in a $35 million sale to a global transportation and logistics corporation.
- Represented a graphic art finishing and bindery company in an $18 million sale to a subsidiary of a global paper and packaging corporation.
- Represented an IT consulting firm in a $25 million sale to a private equity backed strategic purchaser.
- Represented a mobile and digital software company in a $3 million sale to a foreign global SaaS provider.
- Represented a broker-dealer and registered investment advisor in a $7 million sale to a strategic purchaser.
- Represented entrepreneurs in the acquisition or divestiture of numerous businesses in the food and beverage, hospitality, e-commerce, professional services and automotive industries with transaction values between $1 - $5 million.
- Represented a Medical Director in the negotiation of his executive employment and compensation package with the private equity backed strategic purchaser.
- Represented a CFO in the negotiation of his executive employment and compensation package with a private equity backed global e-mail/marketing solutions corporation.
- Represented a C-suite executive in the negotiation of his executive employment and compensation package with the private equity portfolio company purchaser.
- Negotiated dozens of contracts in support of “day to day” operations for clients in industries such as: manufacturing, distribution, e-commerce, digital/mobile media, technology and licensing, entertainment, food and beverage, hospitality, professional services, consumer retail, luxury and consumer goods, construction and design services.
- Acted as outside corporate counsel to certified public accounting and other financial services firms.
- Represented multi-family sponsors / general partners in the negotiation and drafting of joint venture agreements and related documentation across numerous projects.
- Negotiated lease agreements and sublease agreements on behalf of landlords and tenants in NYC office and retail locations.
- Represented owners in the negotiation and drafting of design services and construction documentation concerning development of and improvements to residential properties with project budgets between $1 - $30 million.
- Represented an individual property owner in environmental proceedings with the New York State Office of Attorney General, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the New York City Department of Environmental Protection.
- Resolved shareholder disputes between founders of a NYC construction firm, founders of a NYC real estate brokerage firm and shareholders of a NYC financial services firm.
- New York City Bar Association
- Corporate & Securities
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- General Corporate Matters
- Employment & Employee Benefits
- Real Estate
- Joint Venture/Equity Investments
- Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- J.D., Washington University School of Law
- M.B.A., Washington University John M. Olin School of Business
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Connecticut
- New York