Bruce F. Bronster
Bruce F. Bronster's practice focuses on several key areas: hospitality and restaurants, commercial disputes, tax lien and mortgage foreclosures and general business advice.
His numerous high-profile representations include corporations, real estate companies, hotels, and individuals, such as: Tower Capital Management, MTAG Services, Capital One Bank, One West Bank, CIT Bank, Douglas Elliman, Pat LaFrieda Wholesale Meats, New Valley Realty, Tiffany & Co., CGM Group, Jay Leno, The Moinian Group, Propel Financial Services and numerous high-profile celebrities, restaurants, and others.
Mr. Bronster's litigation practice spans a variety of industries including real estate, finance, insurance, banking and retail, and covers such commercial litigation matters as:
- myriad types of breach of contract and fiduciary duty in the commercial context;
- disputes involving promissory notes, indemnification clauses, guarantees and various breaches of leases, tort claims, conversion and replevin, tortious interference and nuisance; and
- employment law matters, UCC actions, shareholder, membership, and partnership disputes.
Tax Lien & Mortgage Foreclosure
He also manages the Tax Lien & Mortgage Foreclosure Practice Group, managing highly contested and problem cases with novel issues. Prior to joining Windels in 2008, he managed similar practice groups foreclosing thousands of matters. In April 2013, Mr. Bronster was elected to the National Tax Lien Association (NTLA) Board of Directors, in February 2014, was named President, and in February 2015 was re-elected as President.
General Business Advice
Mr. Bronster serves as a finance and management consultant to developing businesses, providing advice with regard to matters such as the formation of the business entity, government regulatory compliance, intellectual property, employment issues and the development of a business plan. In addition, Mr. Bronster has participated in diverse land acquisition and development deals, financial restructurings, refinancings, mergers, and is frequently called upon to provide a business perspective to legal problems.
Hospitality, Entertainment, & Fashion
The hospitality, entertainment, and fashion industries are frequent partners in today's taste- and experience-driven culture. Mr. Bronster has an acute understanding of the myriad businesses that operate in these industries, from the genesis of an idea to the defense of an interest.
He represents prominent restaurants, investors, night clubs, celebrity chefs, boutique and nationally-recognized food purveyors and distributors, industry personalities, fashion designers, actors, supermodels and others in a host of projects and legal concerns. Matters include: corporate formation; partnership agreements and related disputes; all aspects of real estate, including loan workouts; all forms of licensing and contract negotiations; liquor licensing; intellectual property and brand protections; tax, estate and trust matters; management agents; as well as litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Bronster is frequently sought by national, regional and trade media and event organizers to generate a dialogue on the issues affecting these industries. He is an author of numerous articles and book chapters on topics such as celebrity chefs and their restaurants, food halls, and other trends in leisure and hospitality.
In addition to being a staunch advocate for his clients, he is also devoted to charitable and cultural causes that often incorporate a hospitality, entertainment or fashion component, including: Dan's GrillHampton, Family Dynamics, Food & Wine's Annual Festival, Habitat for Humanity, Hamptons Classic, Hope & Heroes, Love Them All, Meatopia, Ovarian Cancer Research Fund, Skin Cancer Awareness, and Beach Volleyball Tournament: Models & Chefs.
He is a member of the Restaurant & Hospitality Law Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Mr. Bronster is widely quoted in the media on topics that are as diverse as his practice focus and the clients to whom he provides counsel.
- February 16, 2017 - Food Dive - "The gig economy: Exciting opportunities, substantial risk for food manufacturers."
- February 10, 2016 - On the Air - "All in the Industry: Episode 95," broadcast via Heritage Radio Network.
- January 6, 2016 - "Marketplace: Joint Venture Seeks to Bring Culinary Market to SI Waterfront," New York Law Journal
- November 5, 2015 - "3 NYC Zoning Plans Hospitality Attorneys Should Know," Law360.
- September 9, 2015 - "Why A Restaurant's Only As Good As Its Real Estate" Bisnow.
- July 29, 2015 - "Hotel Sector Hitting M&A Stride Amid Growth, Cheap Money," Law360.
- April 9, 2015 - "Public REIT Market Poised For Bustling M&A Run," Law360.
- February 25, 2015 - "Nation's Largest Tax Lien Conference" - National Tax Lien Association
- December 8, 2014 - "2015 Trends: Pieces and Parts" and "2015 Trends: Pack in the Protein,"Restaurant Hospitality Magazine.
- September 10, 2014 - "NYC's $1M Parking Spot Shows Appetite for Luxury," Law360.
- September 5, 2014 - "Ask Real Estate: Blinded by the Neighbor's Light," The New York Times.
- July 17, 2014 - "For Fine Dining Sector, Tip Pools Can Be Legal Trap," Law360.
- June 2014 - "Avoiding Lawsuits," The Cooperator.
- June 17, 2014 - "Ex-Aeropostale Fragrance Supplier Says Rival Stole Account," Law360.
- May 15, 2014 - "Ask Real Estate: All About Fees," The New York Times.
- May 1, 2014 - "Ask Real Estate: Old Paint and Built-In Sticker Shock," The New York Times.
- April 21, 2014 - "Franchise Dining Deals Get Supersized In Development Boom," Law360.
- April 10, 2014 - "RE Law Has Become Much More Than Deals And Dirt," Law360.
- March 19, 2014 - "National Tax Lien Association Announces 2014 President and Officers," NTLA.
- March 12, 2014 - "NY Title Agent Crackdown Opens Door For Alternatives," Law360.
- March 11, 2014 - "Branding, Leasing Woes Tip Dining Chains Toward Ch. 11," Law360.
- February 27, 2014 - "Ask Real Estate: A Residential Conversion," The New York Times.
- February 7, 2014 - "Politics May Curb Legal Rows Over Broken Sochi Hotel Deals," Law360.
- January 27, 2014 - "Experts Bullish On Lower Manhattan Despite Flood Risk," Law360.
- January 15, 2014 - "Super Bowl To Provide Short-Term RE Boost In NJ, NY," Law360.
- January 8, 2014 - "London Unseats NY As Top Spot For Foreign RE Dollars," Law360.
- January 3, 2014 - "Competitive Lodging Market Spurs Uptick In Hotel Closings," Law360.
- January 1, 2014 - "Hospitality Regulation and Legislation to Watch in 2014," Law360.
- December 3, 2013 - "NYC Real Estate Market Roars, With No End In Sight,"Law360.
- November 29, 2013 - "Bronster on Retail Real Estate Outlook, Social Media," New York Real Estate Journal.
- November 14, 2013 - "4 World Trade Center opens, a shining symbol of a vibrant New York," Christian Science Monitor.
- November 13, 2013 - "Restaurants Hope High Court, Congress Curb 'Patent Trolls',"Law360.
- October 31, 2013 - "Chain Restaurants Gobble Up Refranchising Opportunities,"Law360.
- October 30, 2013 - "Five Ways Tech Is Changing Commercial Real Estate," Law360.
- October 25, 2013 - "6 Key Ingredients For Pop-Up Restaurant Deals," Law360.
- October 1, 2013 - "Market Anxiety Over Shutdown To Stall RE Deals," Law360.
- August 15, 2013 - "Lack Of Inventory, Not Overvaluation, Spurs NYC CRE Prices,"Law360.
- April 15, 2013 - "BNY Mellon, NYC Beat Class Action Over Tax Liens," Law360.
- March 9, 2012 - "Citing Judge's Error, Panel Reinstates Foreclosure Case," New York Law Journal.
- March 8, 2012 - "Judge overlooked missing filing in foreclosure case: court," Thomson Reuters News & Insight.
- July 11, 2011 - "Court sides with neighbors in Empire Hotel noise complaint ruckus," The Real Deal online.
- June 21, 2011 - "Jay Leno settles legal dispute over $1million vintage car... bought from heir to tycoon couple who sunk with the Titanic," Daily Mail Online (UK).
- June 20, 2011 - "Leno gets wheel deal in lawsuit," New York Post.
- May 31, 2011 - "More Rich Means More Estate, Insurance Claims," Financial Advisor (a Dow Jones blog) and Dow Jones Newswire.
- September 3, 2010 - "Noise Ruling Shakes Up Nightclubs," The Wall Street Journal Online.
- November 23, 2008 - "At a Poor Mosque, Debt and Dismay," The New York Times.
- October 23, 2008 - "Tragedy in Leno Case: Exec in Suit Over Vintage Car Deal is Found Shot Dead," New York Post. The story was also covered by the Associated Press and several entertainment blogs.
- October 3, 2008 - New York Post article regarding his client Stereo (a New York City nightclub).
- December 2007 - "Squatting Rights: Renter Protection," Multifamily Executive Magazine.
- September 17, 2007 - "FTC Warns Publishers on Deceptive Loan Ads," Inside Regulatory Strategies.
- October 25, 2006 - "Final $36M of equity financing secured for Sports Museum," Real Estate Weekly, a deal which was also recognized as Deal of the Year by Smith's Research and Ratings, a leading publication in the Municipal/Tax-Exempt bond field.
- July 28, 2006 - "Bidding for Attention: Some Sellers Turn to Private Auctions to Get Their Houses Sold," Newsday.
- July 22, 2006 - Cited in an on-camera interview on WCBS 2 News regarding the rise in residential foreclosures.
- April 9, 2006 - "Foreclosure Auctions: Bidder Beware," The New York Times.
- May 5, 2005 - "The Wine Shootout," Cigar Aficionado Online.
- August 16, 2016 - Bisnow Restaurant Development Summit, New York, NY
- September 17, 2015 - Bisnow Restaurant Development Summit, New York, NY
- November 10-13, 2011 - First Annual Tax Lien Investors Conference, New Orleans, LA
- July 2016 - Restaurant Hospitality, authored "Is a mixed-use property right for your restaurant?"
- January 2016 - Leisure and Hospitality International, authored "Chefs and Hotels Unite."
- September 2015 - Restaurant Hospitality, authored "4 Strategies to Legally Protect an Expanding Brand."
- December 2014 - Aspatore's Inside the Minds: Representing Consumers in New York Real Estate Transactions, authored "Representing Purchasers and Renters in New York Real Estate Transactions and Litigation."
- August 2014 - Aspatore's Inside the Minds: Navigating the Complexities of Leisure and Hospitality Law, authored "Responding to Recent Trends in the Leisure and Hospitality Industry."
- Summer 2014 - Leisure & Hospitality International, authored "See and Be Seen: Triumphs and Pitfalls of Celebrity-Run Restaurants."
- September 29, 2008 - New York Law Journal: Trends in Real Estate and Title Insurance Edition, co-authored "Adverse Possession Gets Reasonable."
- November 26, 2007 - New York Law Journal: Trends in Real Estate and Title Insurance Edition, authored "Seeking a Softer Landing in the Subprime Mortgage Crisis."
- July 2007 - The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, authored "The Risks Of Private Auctions."
- 2007 - Mortgage Developments 2007, co-authored the chapter on Subprime Mortgage Loans.
- SuperLawyers New York Metro 2015 - Business Litigation
- SuperLawyers New York Metro2014 - Business Litigation and Real Estate
- ACCESS Tax Lien Talk "2014 Tax Lien Person of the Year," awarded to a Tax Lien Professional who has made a notable positive impact on the industry.
BRUCE F. BRONSTER
CONTACT | DOWNLOAD VCARD
New York, NY